Mentor Application - LilPenpusher

Byond CKEY:

LilPenpusher

Discord ID:

lilpenpusher

Character Name(s):

Misti ‘Elf’ Rockwell

Why do you want to become a Mentor?:

SS13 has a notoriously crass learning curve, and its starting experience can easily make or break any new player, no matter which codebase you drop into. CM - I would argue - makes it especially hard because we are in essence a TDM server, with the added addition of a tight-knit role hierarchy via military ranks. All of this can seem super overwhelming for someone who just sees “Colonial Marines” and “Aliens” and wanders into here, thinking “what’s up?”

I’ve seen too many SSD PVTs in my many hours of play - players who will probably never come back again. I wanna try and help be there for them in an extended capacity, get them hooked on that CM juice that we’re all hooked on (so that they can never leave again).

What gameplay areas do you know and which areas are you strong and weak in?:

I’ll keep this relatively simple via bullet points if you’ll excuse. Feel free to ask me on any of these in specific and I’ll gladly elaborate.

Strengths:

• Command/CIC
  • Marine Law/MP
  • Medical
  • Requisitions
  • Marine Combat
  • (Transport?) Flight

Mid:

• Engineering
  • Chemistry
  • CAS
  • Xeno construction
  • Xeno combat

Weak:

• Research

How often are to able to play CM?:

Varies. Ranges from a few times a week to every day. Times of day vary depending on work hours.

A screenshot or transcript of your human and xeno playtimes:

Imgur link to playtimes: Mentor App Playtimes - Album on Imgur,

Anything else you’d like to add?:

It’s been a little while by this point, but I suppose it’s worth noting that I already have acted in the capacity of a mentor several times both OOC (be it on Discord or even in-game via answering mhelps) as well as IC via SEA, during my time as a Moderator and Senior Moderator, back in 2022. I liked that Staff could take on that role also, if they had the time and chance, and made use of it where I could.

Also, and obviously, I am part of the CO Council, so giving advice to people is already kind of a thing I do in the community anyway. I suppose it also means I hold myself and my behaviour to a high standard but- I prefer not to let roles talk, so think as you will! That’s fine with me.

5 Likes

LilPenpusher is a well known community member, a respected commanding officer council member and is always willing to help out others whenever asked for advice. Their knowledge about server mechanics is very high and I’m sure they will be a great addition to the mentor team. +1

3 Likes

Although invariably an odd person at times, a person with no doubt a great deal of knowledge +1

4 Likes

Easy, you’re known and respected in the community. Clearly demonstrated your capability through CO council work and I have no doubt you’d make a great mentor.
+1

3 Likes

Don’t even feel the need to ask questions. Anyone paying attention to the work of the CO WL knows how much knowledge you’ll bring and how methodical you are. I think you’d be a great addition to the team so +1.

Word of warning, we’re in the middle of an overseer changeover so it might take longer than usual to resolve.

4 Likes

First off, thanks for putting in the application, and good luck.

Mentor Helps

• My formaldehyde keeps making dexalin?
  • How many rounds does a gau burst use per shot?
  • Where is the ASO’s bunk?
  • What does the defender’s soak ability do?
  • How do I make an abomination?

In Person

• There’s a new drone player, and it’s hijack. There’s no xenos around to teach them, so you decide to imaginary friend them. What are the first two things you teach them?

• You’re a SEA and someone asks you to set up the black market for them. What do you do?

3 Likes

Going to be honest, I could have sworn you were already a mentor. +1 obviously knows what he is doing.

3 Likes

Hello hello there big boss of commissioned arts, I will gladly give you a +1 for command roles and personality, but as per tradition I will ask questions.

• Is there any way to repair the broken down cade? I can’t weld it.

• I glow white and black as ravager sometimes, what does that mean?

• Some parts of the map are blank and textures are missing, what can I do?

• My ping is shit, can I do something to make it better?

• It’s the hijack and the Commander won’t start evacuation can you as the SEA join the mutiny?

2 Likes

Easily +1 Already holding other WL’s and also you are doing a great work on the council, you are knowledge about the game, never seen you be LRP with those roles either, and you are a respected player on the community. Don’t feel the need of asking any questions, All i would perhaps add, is that you get some research hours, there is often people needing help on that department with the knowledge, on how to make greenos/aboms, or how the machine works, etc. Other than that i’m sure you will be accepted and do good :smile:

4 Likes

Pardon the minor delay. Had to get home from work first.

You’re probably mixing chemicals in the wrong order - it has to be a precise one for it to catalyse and mix. Methane, Phoron, then finally Oxygen. If it’s mixing Dexalin then you are likely trying to add Methane last, since Dexalin’s mix requires both Oxygen and Phoron.

20 rounds per shot - or 40 if you’re using the AP rounds. (I saw a PR address ammo usage during Fire Missions recently, don’t know if these values were touched and changed since?)

West Hangar, north of the vehicle bay.

It makes you immobile in exchange for increased frontal armour and resistance increases to projectiles and explosives. Makes you a real bullet sponge.

If a Predator/Yautja gets facehugged and infected, the resulting larva will automatically evolve into an ‘Abomination’, also known as a Predalien.

The first one would be to inform them of the importance of the Hivemind chat, and telling them how to write in it. It’s how every Xeno stays in contact wherever they are, and it’s where the Queen talks to the Hive also.

The second matter would be to teach them how to use the drone’s basic abilities of construction, like informing them how to activate their building ability, and how to switch between the various different kinds of constructions (walls, doors etc).

Stuff I would answer only when asked directly is stuff like “how do I become a bigger xeno?” aka evolving, since that’s something that I wouldn’t want to bring to their immediate attention when they’re already busy figuring out the baby steps as a drone, along with combat - since the drone is not traditionally combat-focused anyhow, and the Hive doesn’t expect them to be frontlining. Once the player has building figured out, I’d also make a quick notice of weeds and of what they do, and to use Hivemind to keep informed about where xenos are requesting weeds or construction.

I cannot ICly assist someone in this, as the black market (as the name implies) is criminal in nature. Since I, as a spawned SEA, am OOC not permitted to commit crimes, I would have to refuse. I would, however, LOOC before departing and suggest to the CT/QM that they mentorhelp instead, since assisting with this purely via an advisory, OOC mhelp exchange is possible (no matter if I take the mhelp or another mentor.).

I can guide them through the steps, basically, but I can’t actively be doing it with/for them in-person.

Meow

Yes! If you find a nailgun from the colony grounds, you can use it on broken down barricades to return them into a fixable, weldable state. If you don’t have one though… tough luck, yeah. You have to break it down and replace it with a new one.

Either I am completely clueless as to Ravager visual cues (possible) or this is a visual glitch/bug. As I hinted at above, I am not too well versed with the xeno side of things, so I would likely defer this to any fellow mentor present in case it is the former. If it’s confirmed to be the latter, I would advise the player to ahelp instead since this is something to be brought to the attention of any online developers/maintainers.

Please ahelp this issue, as it sounds like you’re experiencing a texture bug of some sort. Have a dev look into that with you.

Yes! CM has a bunch of relays setup across the world that are meant to help improve ping for people. Have a look at which might be closest to you, and reconnect with that one’s link: Server Relays

No, I cannot join any Mutiny as the SEA, or commit any crime at all for that matter. I can, however, defend the Commander during the events of a Mutiny if I so desire.

If the (a)CO does not want to call evac then there is little I can do about it besides begging and pleading on my knees.

2 Likes

None of us here knows everything, but most of your answers were more than acceptable! I will gladly give you a +1, good luck inspiring mentor.

4 Likes

+1 from me.
Member of the CO council who is active, long time member of the CM community with as far as I can recall in good standing. You have also answers the questions pretty well. Never had a bad interaction from you in my time in IC or in discord. That about sums it up from me.
Just note while were awaiting a new overseer apps might take longer then normal to be handled. None the less I look forward to having you join the mentor team! Best of luck!

2 Likes

+1 Very good answers. Sorry for tricking you. For the defender ‘soak’ ability, that was the non wiki trick question. It’s a steel crest ability that isn’t written down anywhere. It makes the the defender turn red, and soaks a bunch of damage, then heals at the end of it. ‘How do I make an abomination?’ was the researcher torture question, just add thwei to your monkey. (and CIP2 ideally.) Anyway, it’s pretty obvious that you should already be a mentor.

4 Likes

You have my +1 you definitely know what you are doing in most departments.

3 Likes

Purple hair CO my beloved(?). +1

1 Like

How dare you. I am a sophisticated individual and had BLUE hair as CO

2 Likes

Picture is clearly of a brunette, Hair colour results:inconclusive, also +1

2 Likes

+1, they’re already a CO councillor and know plenty of the game and its deeper mechanics, not to mention theyre very active in the community

2 Likes

+1 from me, they’re a CO councilor and would make for excellent RP if they happen to run SEA for a round. Additionally being very knowledge they would be great for helping other players.

2 Likes

+1 from me, Misti has the mechanical knowledge i’d expect in a mentor as well as the attitude i’d want in someone who would interact with newer players.

3 Likes