Meta-Campaign

I’ve had an idea of a ‘meta campaign’ as a staff event. It would be something that takes place over the course of several days or weeks and would add a sort of sense of progression to the game. I doubt we’d run multiple campaign missions in a row, but we’ll see.

(google doc better explaining the event)

Right now, I am just spit-balling my ideas, but I figured I could post my ideas to see if there’s interest, or if there are better ways to go about it.

The objective of the campaign is to attack and defeat the opposing faction at their home planet. The campaign map is divided into a set of semi-linear planets, each planet is a map. The central planet will be LV-624 and is the start point of the campaign. Adjacent to this central planet are the two factions ‘1st line planet’s’. These represent a buffer separating each faction ‘home planet’. The home planets are behind the 1st line planets.

| Marine Home Planet | — | Marine 1st Line | — | Central Planet | — | Xeno 1st Line | — | Xeno Home Planet |

Edit: my epic artistic rendition of the strategic map

(V2 of the map)

In order for a faction’s home planet to be vulnerable to attack, the enemy faction needs to hold at least one of the adjacent 1st line planets. It is not necessary for both 1st line planets to be conquered.

Once an attack is launched against a home planet. The campaign will end no matter what the outcome is. If the attacker is defeated, the game is considered to be a draw (or minor victory for the attacker). If the attacker wins, it’s a major victory.

To complicate the campaign, there are three ‘stronghold’ planets that can be attacked and conquered, gaining the faction holding the planet a permanent boon to the remaining games.

In each faction’s 1st line sector, and the central planet sector, exists a “link”. Each link allows a faction to attack a stronghold planet. In order to use a link, a faction must win the battle in a sector that contains the link, then they must vote to attack the stronghold planet. The attack can select any of the three stronghold planets to attack as they wish, although they cannot attack a planet that has already been conquered previously.

A major factor of stronghold planets is that the winner of the fight gains the reward, it does not matter which faction attacks the planet first, it only matters who wins. A faction should be just as observant of what reward they will gain if they win, versus what reward the enemy may gain if they win.

The winner of the central planet fight at the start of the campaign gains initiative. A vote will be held regarding what they will do. Firstly, they will vote if they should use a link (assuming one is active) to attack a stronghold, if this vote passes, then the attackers vote on which stronghold to attack. If the attackers do not vote to attack a stronghold, or they can’t, they instead vote for which next enemy planet to attack, assuming there is a choice. If there is no choice, they simply attack the next planet.

Initiative will always pass to the faction that wins a battle.

For example, if the Marines win the first battle on LV-624, the central planet, they can either attack a Xeno 1st line planet, or use the central link to attack a stronghold.

The maps I’ve initially thought of to use are as follows.

Central Sector

• LV-624

Marine 1st Line Sector

• New Varadero
  • Shivas Snowball

Marine Home Planet

• USS Almayer

Xeno 1st Line Sector

• Sorokyne Strata
  • Solaris Ridge

Xeno Home Planet

• Kutjevo Refinery

For the strongholds, and the bonuses I’ve thought up, are as follows.

• Chance’s Claim
    Marine Hold - Tank Unlocked. The tank is persistent during rounds, if Marines lose a game but don’t evacuate the tank, then the tank is lost. The marines can re-gain the tank if they can attack the planet the tank was lost on and recover it. If the tank is lost on a stronghold planet, it is returned to the adjacent planet that is linked to the stronghold.
    Xeno Hold - Royal Guard (guaranteed Warden Prea with a lot more health and plasma). Royal Guard may have limited lives, if it loses them all the Xenos can no longer spawn a Royal Guard for the rest of a campaign. If a Royal Guard dies during a round, it can not be respawned even if extra lives are left for that round. Xenos can save a Royal Guard if they attempt to “evacuate” it, to do so they need to make it stand still for 5 minutes until it can be “evacuated”, this will alert the Marines via a ARES announcement. Once it has been evacuated it cannot be returned for the remainder of the round.

• Fiorina Science Annex
    Marine Hold - Almayer gains Limited Supply Of Adv Brute/Burn Kits inside of crates. Each crate contains a certain number of units, the Marines will gain a certain number of crates (TBD). Up to CIC to decide how many are deployed during a round. Once a crate is deployed, its gone.
    Xeno Hold - Human Cultist, Xenos gain 3 Human Cultists, the Queen decides how many are deployed during a battle, or if none are deployed at all. Once deployed they are lost forever, even if they don’t die during the round. The cultists will likely have some restrictions on their actions (such as no reviving dead marines, don’t drag dead marines away, similar stuff)

• Trijent Dam
    Marine Hold - UPP Aid, a Squad of UPP will be spawned not long after the round starts, they are guaranteed to be allied to the Marines. Normally, a combat synthetic will NOT spawn, however, Marine CIC can choose a single round for the campaign where a combat synth will spawn.
    Xeno Hold - CLF Interference, hostile CLF are guaranteed to spawn sometime after the Marines land, they will spawn in an area closer to the Marine lines than the Xeno hive. Additional CLF may spawn during a game. Under normal circumstances the CLF will be hostile to both factions, however a queen can, once per campaign, choose to “mind control” the CLF and force them to be neutral to the xenomorphs. The CLF will be forced to disengage and not fight the xenomorphs, but they cannot directly ally with or fight alongside the xenomorphs.

There won’t be a lot of major in-game changes, aside from the stronghold boons, but here’s a small list of what I think would be different.

In-Game Changes

• Marines are 100% aware they are going to be fighting xenomorphs.
  • There should not be any Predator spawns during the campaign.
  • There is no hijack during the campaign. If marines evacuate or are wiped out planetside, the game ends in a xenomorph victory.
  • Factions being attacked in their 1st line or strongholds will be given a minor boon near the start of the game (Few xenos evolved into a hivelord roundstart or Marines getting more Materials or new weapons as an example)
  • We could set it that survivors on Marine planets are all transformed into a allied Military ERT, such as Contractors. Whereas on Xeno planets there are no survivors, with xenos instead gaining an equilivant amount of free larva. Allied survivors might be too much but we’ll see.
  • The Marine stronghold will be the USS Almayer. The game will start similarly but a certain section of the ship (designated by the xenos, tho likely the lifeboats or astronav) will be blocked off, giving the xenos time to fortify and prepare, the xenos may be given more boon’s than normal depending on the difficulty.

(v1 of the map)

19 Likes

The only real thing I would change would make a new custom map for the Xeno home planet. Just a planet without a trace of human civilization and lots and lots of weeded terrain.

Albeit this would have to be mapped by someone, so very iffy.

1 Like

A xeno homeworld map would be cool, but would be a huge project.

I’m open to what maps should be xeno and marine sided

There was a guy developing this map not sure if he left it might want to try reach into his DMs, think this is the design you might be looking for.

Also another question. What would happen to survivors? Would they be as is, or would they be removed/replaced?

I was thinking that issue over, and I’m torn between just removing them or theming the survivors based on the map.

So on Marine planets they might be replaced with Contractors or Freelancers, but on Xeno planets the survivors won’t spawn and will instead just grant the xenos extra larva.

Looks like it would be fun, but didn’t this type of progression thing happen before and it never made it past the first map? I swear something similar to this happened but it was HvH instead.

I don’t know, I’m sure other staff have done some kind of meta-progression campaigns before. Though my idea here is that there’s more player agency with the outcome of the campaign.

1 Like

This sounds fun I like it, I’d love for it to happen, my main issue is the idea of it being how much set up is required, I imagine it would require atleast 3 senior mods to run smoothly

1 Like

I’m still getting to grips with smod privilages but I don’t know if a huge amount of setup is required.

The first map, 624, would be almost identical to a regular game.

Things might get more complicated later on but at most this is just a case of spawning in a bunch of people or changing xeno evolutions.

Assuming a complex end-game mission where Marines have a Tank, Friendly UPP squad but Xenos have Human cultists, and we’re playing on a Xeno planet the things that’d need to be done include

• Spawn a group of UPP on the Almayer
  • Spawn a Tank and two Tank Crewman on the Almayer, alongside their equipment
  • Spawn a Cultist planetside if the Xeno Queen requests them
  • Offer up some Hivelord slots to roundstart xenos and change their larva to a Hivelord

These are things that, I think, a smod can do.

E: On that note however, if we did have a final map on the Almayer, that would 100% demand an admin in order to get it to work.

i think at the minimum to run it it would just be alot of XOOC, MOOC, and lesser announcments ; thinking about it i doubt itll be too hard to run, id help with it whenever i could just because this idea is cool asf

2 Likes

I think Fiorina should be TWE aid/APC instead of just a few brute and burn kits, also maybe use corsat as a stronghold.

I’m open to changing things. Though I think Corsat is not maintained so it might have issues running?

I’m a bit wary of adding too many ERT options. Though in practice it would be unlikely for Marines to achieve both a UPP and TWE ERT.

If anyone has ideas for persistent rewards for a stronghold I’m open to them.

Edit: I’ll have to see how good my art skills are in making a neat little map I can point to if I announce this, so people can visually track how the campaign is going.

1 Like

Steelpoint, by maps you mean just jpg/png images that are nice to read and says where the xenos and marines currently are right?

Yeah just a overview of the planets, who is holding them and where the next battle will be.

I can make that happen for you, you just need to tell me what the maps and such are.

BUT there is a catch, you have to get my friends[ME, Johannes2262, CrazySquirrel70, DukeofCagliostro]{if they are around} at roundstart and make a formal sword duel for us in TDome, at like 1pm est today. what do you say?

1 Like

Behold, watch as marines and xenos are stuck in a 6-month stalemate deadlock, back and forthing between New Varadero and LV…

2 Likes

I’m sorry, but I don’t negotiate with terrorists.

I’ve indicated the maps I’m thinking to use in the OP.

Here’s my epic rendition.

E: Though the gold stronghold planets should all be interconnected since you can pick any of them to attack no matter which path you take.

3 Likes

The xeno homeworld should be Old Ice V1, but the hive can only spawn in the crashed ship. It’s only fitting :relieved:

2 Likes

I get the strong feeling this is a way for steelpoint to show off that game sony bribed him to market.

2 Likes