What is your Discord username?

nessiependragon

What characters do you play on CM-SS13?

Gokcen Demir

Are you 16 or older?

Yes

Timezone:

UTC+3

On average, how many hours are you available to moderate in an average week?

~20

Qualifications:

Do you have previous experience in game or community moderation?

Yes.

Provide any links to any previous CM-SS13 whitelist, mentor or staff applications:

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on CM-SS13?

I have never been banned before.

Can you actively engage and communicate with the team through Discord?

Yes.

Final Details:

Why would you like to join the CM-SS13 staff team?

I’ve always liked CM’s staff structure. In almost all the incidents I have encountered so far, the staff treated everyone fairly and gave appropriate punishments. Regardless of who was complained about, staff members would always handle the incidents with an impartial disposition that seemed fair to all parties involved. It would be a pleasure for me to be a part of such a quality team.

I enjoy participating in rounds as an observer and watching players in the server roleplay. I asked myself why shouldn’t I do stuff to encourage the players to roleplay and keep them immersed ingame? I would like to encourage and enhance their roleplay by answering faxes, making small events and things like that.

What makes you a great addition to Staff? (Experienced Tabletop DM, Aliens Lore Buff, Super Organized, etc.?)

A year ago, I took on many positions on a TG based SS13 server which was also sponsored by 4 streamers. I have served as Vice-Host and Head Admin. Tasks entailed things such as teaching SS13 to more than a hundred new players, training Admins and writing server rules. I had extensive experience with enforcing rules, overseeing gameplay, rounds, ban appeals, staff reports, issuing warnings, talking to new players etc. I have seen almost every kind of SS13 player, so I can quickly get to know a player and understand how to communicate with them.

When the streamers were playing actively, I had to deal with more than a hundred active players due to staff shortage, it was a new game for everyone and no one wanted to take the responsibility. Eventually I had to step down from the staff at the end of 1.5 years due to being burnt out. I am not actively playing on that server. Here’s the server, https://imgur.com/a/wvOMuW4

I have a pretty strong grasp on both the Xeno and Marine gameplay differences, I know it’s Mentors’ job, but in cases where a Mentor isn’t available I’m more than happy to answer questions of new players if I’m allowed to do so. Moreover, since I am a CO WL holder and have a huge amount of MP playtime, I have a comprehensive understanding of ML and MP. Therefore, I can handle ML related issues easily. I think this would help with what a staff member may have to tackle in a day-to-day round of CM.

In your opinion, what is the most important quality of a CM-SS13 staff member?

Two things; being impartial and maintaining professionalism. In a game that one can easily get frustrated like SS13, a staff member must remain calm, professional and focused on finding the solutions under any circumstance. Trying to talk to or arguing with an already angry player in an unprofessional manner is just adding fuel to the fire, and not helping anyone.

No matter how fun a server is to play on, if the staff running the server is notorious for being biased and unfair, players will eventually tend to drift away from the server. In my eyes, CM staff has always managed to preserve these two manners.

Anything else you want to add?

Applying to CM staff has been something I’ve been thinking about for a long time. Finally, I believe I can handle this. Also, I would especially like to thank QuickLoad, who has helped and supported me in many fields since the first day I started playing on CM.

Thanks for reading!

5 Likes

I’ve known you slightly Nessie.
Mostly from here and there readings and encounters.
Most are good.

What do you plan on doing when you join staff?
Do you plan on filling the void that is currently in place for staff in general?
Are you not going to burnout immediately like some in the past?
I respect if you do burn out for other reasons but it’s a shame to loose people quick.

Other than that I think you might make a good fit right now.

2 Likes

Thank you kindly for your questions and comment, Vagabond. I’m happy to provide a good experience. Let me clear the question marks…

As I said above; if I am deemed suitable to be a Moderator and accepted, I would like to spend most of my time participating in rounds as an observer, watching the players, intervening in inappropriate situations, and using roleplay opportunities to enhance the players’ roleplay and keep them immersed ingame. This is something I’ve done with pleasure before, I think it will be especially enjoyable for me to do these on a roleplay-focused server like CM.

Absolutely! Thanks to my time zone, I can catch the active hours of both players living in Europe and players living in Russia. Therefore, I can fill the gap not only in high pop but also low pop hours where staff is not available at all. I will try to close the gap as much as I can and as much as my rank allows.

I was under massive stress while serving as Vice-Host in the server I’ve mentioned above. Despite that, I’ve managed to serve 1.5 years even though I had many responsibilities such as training staff, handling staff and player reports, managing events etc. I can easily say that I can serve for a long time in an environment like CM, even more so with much less authority and responsibility than what I had in the previous server. I have thought about this for a long time.

You’ve given some sufficient answers.

For the adding to RP bit, you might have a little to wait for certain things, you may be able to write faxes back early on if things haven’t changed.

You’ve given a bright outlook to look forward too, just don’t burn yourself out.

+1

1 Like

I have had the utmost pleasure of watching this player grow from their very first round of CM to now. During this over-a-year-long endeavor they have always shown to have several traits which would make them a candidate for being a competent moderator. The best of these would be their persistence in learning and their demeanor which always means well. Not once have I seen NessiePendragon do anything malicious or demeaning to others - on the contrary, I have seen them take accountability for honest mistakes and time after time seen them try to encourage others to learn as they have. Nessie’s integrity and good faith in decision making would definitely prove to be key assets to our team. So, they have my full community-based support. I think they will be a great moderator for our community!

2 Likes

+1 from me here are my 2 main reasons.
One is the fact both Leon and Vaga questioned and vouched for you. The questions I was thinking of Vaga beat me too them and I too like your response to them.Second Leon vouching for you and describing some good positive traits like you having accountability for honest mistakes and also acting in good faith and having integrity are things I would like to hear and see from staff.
Having also seen you play with a level head and have good RP based interactions with you IC is also a plus. Over all I will echo one thing Vaga brought up and that is just be careful and don’t burn yourself out please. Other then that I wish you the best of luck!

2 Likes

Hi Nessie, I haven’t had an abundance of interactions with you, however the interactions I have had are positive. This application is quite strong.

I agree that impartiality and maintaining professionalism are two important traits in a staff member, and I especially like that you put an emphasis on maintaining a positive staff reputation.

Now for a follow-on, how would you deal with these adminhelps? Assume for the sake of these questions all the information divulged in the adminhelps are truthful and accurate.

1. Adminhelp from the Chief MP, “Hello admin, I just learned that the Commander (whitelisted) has changed SOP forcing all the medics to use satchels instead of backpacks.”

2. Adminhelp from a marine, “Hello admin, I just got into a fight with another marine and we ended up shooting at each other. They ran off after they put me in crit, idk where they went, but I just finished getting healed. Is it okay if I go find them and shoot them?”

3. Adminhelp from a marine, “May we start a mutiny? We have five people here. Our reason is that CAS strafed the frontline causing a mass route that wiped over half our forces.”

i couldve sworn i had +1d this, while im sure at the time i had a very well thought out response as to why i was +1ing it i tragically completely forgot it, rereading your explanations; i do find you to seem like a really good fit for our staff team so the +1 is remaining

1 Like

Hi Biolock! Thank you for your comment and questions, let me answer them. :blush:

Of course COs can modify the SOP. However, COs cannot make any SOP modifications that would restrict Marines’ mobility or usage of essential equipment.

If it is within my authority and my seniors allow, I would notify Marines through High Command announcement/fax that the last SOP modification is invalid, therefore it has been withdrawn by us. Additionally, I would inform the CO Council of the situation at the end of the round.

After the PM, I would first check the attack.log to see if the Escalation Rules are followed properly.

If the ER has been escalated as stated in the rules and resulted in neutralization of one of the parties, I would inform the player not to kill the other one, and if he wants to face the other party, ER must be re-escalated as stated in the rules. I would not note or ban any of the parties in this case.

If the ER hasn’t been escalated as stated in the rules, I would check the logs to know which side used excessive force first. After that, whoever used excessive force first, I would first inform him on the issues I mentioned above, and then, after looking at his note and ban history, I would issue a note or ban due to Improper Escalation, according to the history’s severity.

As far as I know, the CAS pilot could be held responsible for a Fire Mission that killed half of the force. That’s reason enough for Mutiny, in my opinion.

If the CAS pilot wasn’t punished by the CO or MPs, I would accept the player’s request for Mutiny. However, in the scenario where the Pilot is arrested or BE’d by the CO, I would not approve Mutiny, since the Pilot has already been punished so, Marines shouldn’t have enough motivation to Mutiny, but I would consult my seniors or Admins before responding to ticket.

Hey Nessie, I think your answers to ahelps two and three are right on the money.

Your response to the first ahelp is good too, but it misses a few nuances (which is fair because it’s honestly a loaded ahelp). On top of the issue you pointed out:

• The military police must be informed of any changes made to the SOP before it’s implemented, therefore the Chief MP learning of a change to SOP after it has been enacted is a no-no.
  • Additionally, SOP modifications are changes to SOP. They are not exceptions for a specific people or groups (Hospital Corpsman), and apply universally to the whole AO.

In totality I think your application is very strong and you would make a great addition to the team.

+1

1 Like

Has performed well in her duties as CO without a blemish so far.

Nothing much to add that Vaga and Bio didn’t cover.

+1

1 Like

Heya! So I’ve looked into this application a bit.

The fact that you have staff experience already is good, it might have been on another server but that’s still very useful.
Your answers aren’t 100% perfect but that’s totally fine. They’re right enough.
Nothing majorly bad came up community wise and looking into your notes the only thing I could find is a very minor MP incident semi-recently. But that doesn’t seem too bad.

I dont really see any good reasons not to accept this application so yeah, I’m going to accept it.
Make sure your discord DMs are open as I’ll be sending you a message over there soon to get your perms and such sorted out!

1 Like

Added mod:approved and removed mod:waiting