Re Add Armored Vehicles + More

That’s why I suggested a whitelist or strict requirement (10 hours for SL and Command roles maybe) It could also be split into a armor squad, Crewman and Crew Chief or Commander (like a PO)

I think if they add vehicles back (not just an APC but other armored vehicles) we could decide what needs to change and how they can change them to make them more fun. Vehicles just add a whole new atmosphere to the game and I wish they were here to stay. A lot of people share different opinions and they all are valid. I just hope that for the people that are on the opposing side of this that they realize that it could be great fun for both sides (Xenos and Marines) for the xenos to get a swarm on the Marines and the vehicle being slowly taken apart with the marines fighting for their life adding a sense of roleplay joy I get out of games like Arma and watching movies.

“Transformation of the construction area into actually something maybe move the vehicle bay there or a part of it the Almayer is supposed to fucking have 4 MUTT-4M7 Multipurpose Trucks why not put them there? Along with Vehicle crew bunks hell maybe even call in a tank like the old days though they progressively suck as the last Tank event showed an APC would be better. Changing the Old Vehicle Bay area to some box storage” I state again…

Though having RP requirements for the Tank Crew would be nice

As discussed in Opinions on how to rework the APC or add other vehicles (you could have necroed my old thread instead of starting a new one, I could turn it into a likefarm), I think it would work better if the vehicles were reworked into something like on civ 13, being basically a block of moving walls and doors which can be entered without delay (as long as the door’s unlocked). This way the vehicle would require support by infantry in order to not get it’s door slashed down and itself rushed. On that topic, maybe even add some system so xenos spitting acid could penetrate the vehicle’s armour using it (maybe so the more damaged the vehicle is, the more damage gets through the armour and injure it’s crew) to allow xenos to disable the vehicle without needing to destroy it complety. As far as I know, the RP requirements for VCs were the same as the SL ones (technically).

Many people also suggested having the vehicle be transport only (there was a PR some time ago removing req’s droppads and replacing them with a truck), but CM’s maps are just too small for transport vehicles to be necessary. From my experience as VC, we mostly transported beno corpses to FOB and maybe one marine every five minutes to the front, but req can basically teleport crates of supplies onto the front, IOs can basically teleport beno corpses aboard the DS and FOB to frontline is even on the bigger maps a two minute walk, however the vehicle could be useful for that so the marines do not get ambushed and killed without anyone noticing. It could work if maps were specially made for vehicle gameplay, but this would basically make the APC required for transporting marines and would leave the USCM at severe disadvantage when it gets destroyed.

As far as I know the main reason for the vehicle removal was them bodyblocking everyone on the frontline and nobody maintaining them, so some dedicated dev would be needed. On the ARC, apparently it was autoclosed a few hours ago, probaly one of the many great PRs that get autoclosed and forgotten. And on the “vehicle gets purchased using techpoints” or “CIC staff has to drive them”, not a big fan of both as the first one would lead to either one VC latejoining ten minutes after the purchase and having to wait for a second one to join or some rifleman would get chosen to use the “how to drive armoured vehicles for dummies”-guide and then driving around on a map he has never played before without fullfilling any playtime requirements. On the latter, I think there should be a dedicated vehicle role and not a “join SO; pray higher-ups buy a vehicle; pray you and not the other deployment-happy SO gets chosen”.

Hivelord isn’t the same without being able to wall in the APC and report its location, nothing would make me smile more than seeing marines load 20 bodies into an APC and then get stopped by 1 thick resin wall in time for me to snitch to the queen for her eye on them too and then total panic and slaughter following, it was worth marines having meme holds and taking a few xenos every single time in my opinion.

Remember to add snowplows for the vehicles, snow maps would be more fun if you got a good way of clearing snow.

2 Likes

Someone mentioned this elsewhere as well, as far as I know (I know, many "as"s) (Probaly in my great Opinions on how to rework the APC or add other vehicles): vehicles could be remade (yes, if you code it) into a more utility role, being able to dig trenches, plow snow as you said, ram down walls (both resin and normal) (as far as I know they were able to instantly delete resin doors, but not walls, funny driving into a beno walline and deleting every door) or quickly remove debris (tables, old crates, these vehicles standing around) from the frontline. The resulting vehicle would ideally be armoured enough to be able to drive to the infantry upon encountering benos (I know, lots of "to"s) while not being able to inflict major damage to the enemys. Also, forgot to mention in my first post, but nice to see even players who haven’t experienced vehicles themselves (or just during events) want them back as well, makes me know it’s not just nostalgy to want them back.

I for one did experience vehicles (APC specifically) and I hated them and want them to stay gone.

Reasons?

Yes, as @pablo_excavator said, gimme reasons. And would you just hate the APC coming back in the state it had pre-removal or vehicles being reworked into other roles.

I think I probably should have said “I hated it and want it to stay gone”, I’m not completely opposed to vehicles (I liked the ARC PR before that got staled to death), but I really do not like APC overall, most of my interactions with it were it running me over or bodyblocking me to death (as marine, almost never as xeno), and not having to put an APC gate in every cadeline is nice for the engies too.

1 Like

That’s why I advised to remake vehicles into an utility role (I already posted ideas for possible features in one of my former posts), this would atleast solve the “bodyblocked to death on the frontline”-issue while still giving VCs something to do. Focussing solely on transport doesn’t seem to be the right direction for reworking vehicles, as CM’s maps are just too small for transport vehicles to really matter. Edit for @rainbowstalin: Re Add Armored Vehicles + More - #11 by Johannes2262

They would need some new form of identity then, since both frontline gun and huggerremover 9000 is just kinda bad.

I think the best thing for them would be some kind of Command and Control Platform. That way a CO/XO/SO can deploy with it. Give it a limited range sensor tower, working tacmap, telephone, and maybe the ability to have a built in laser designator and it becomes a mobile CIC.

That’s pretty much what the ARC linked above is.

Only issues with the ARC I saw was its large and can still be used as a weapon.

Like I said somewhere, remodelling it without any weaponry, making it highly armoured and being able to drive on weeds while retaining VAN property’s. Maybe give it a flare gun that doesn’t require ASRs purchase to refill. And give it 12 seats at the back 1 driver and 1 passenger at the front. Secluding the front from the back like a K9 police vehicle. If we want maybe give it a snow remover on the front during snow rounds.

In short I would much rather prefer an armoured van that is solely based on transporting troops and more of a utility with a sensor tower and flare gun. Than a big brick that can shoot.

Maybe keep the weapons for vehicles BUT make them only available through techwebs/make them the most expensive thing you can buy. That way a vehicle’s weapons are meant for late in a round meaning that if VC’s want to go on killing sprees they have to wait a long time/ might not even get to at all.

Armoured vehicles without guns seem to be the right direction, however I think focussing solely on passenger transport would be straight up boring for the VCs. CM’s maps are just too small for transport vehicles to do something.

maybe giving it an m56d that the Armoured APC had that requires it to be manned.

Something like this. But the Marine would be inside the van and the m56d would be above.

Or add that foxhole req function where you can pack supplies in it instead of marines.

Only negative I saw with that is the fact that marines were litterally spawn camping the van groundside at fob. But what if you could transport supplies to the front from fob or directly from req.

I’d personally make it so there’d be one VC and if the player pop reaches around 150ish? Let there be 2 vans to supply both frontlines.

Maybe remove the 4 pads and leave only echo so marine would have to rely on trucks to transport it else wait until requsitions E pad gets off cooldown.

Are you reading the posts above?

As stated, supplies can be ‘‘teleported’’ to the front by droppads, which makes supplies transport irrelevant, and were it removed, it would only make it a hassle to drive it back and forth, to a much lesser effect than dropping it.

As stated, CM maps are too small to require transport vehicles, requiring ‘‘2 minutes walk at most’’ as above, which is true. Nobody ever did use and nobody wants to use vehicle transport, including echo squad, who could arguably make it to the front faster without a vehicle, especially when it comes to any xeno buildings.

As stated, there was already an APC test with only the smartgun, and it was no different than the old smartgun where it just hugged the cades, blocked people and acted as a worse SG. That is what this would be in the absence of any so called ‘transport’ functions which as stated, are not useful or required.

2 Likes

This is not always the case and needs great coordination from requisitions and on ground marines. Majority of the supplies found every round will be on the front. I have had a ton of times where I have to go all the way back to the FoB to get ammo along with a load of other marines. And guarded transport would be very useful. Transporting VIPs to the front or transporting wounded that need quick extraction safely.