Should Research return to being Civilians/Employed by W-Y and contracted by the USCM?

In my personal opinion, ever since the Research change to incorporate them into the military structure is became more bland, it lost it’s uniqueness as a sort of different “department” which was a bunch of civilian scientists and not rank and file of the USCM. Even now that they are apart of the structure… practically nothing changed but their ranks, they get no military gear of any sort, nothing special like maybe a beret or anything but rank boards. I think it would increase the RP and add a bit more nuance to the shipside roles that isn’t the CL hopelessly being ignored by everyone. Not to say that the CL should oversee the Research Department, maybe act as an advisor role, since they both work for the same goals and and work for the same Company. He already has access and Research is mostly funded by Wey-Yu due to their focus on RND, so I don’t see it that big a stretch. Could make the chem ERT actually change too, maybe give it some extra purpose that after recovering the chem you can guard Research.

7 Likes

Ever since research became rank and file it lost part of its soul.

2 Likes

I think they should go back to being WY civvies.

Give their area a top secret clearance and two PMC guard spawns.

13 Likes

IMO?
Make it optional. Weyland contractor or USCM we already do it for a couple of rolls.

3 Likes

It makes no sense for MPs to not have access to a restricted part of the vessel, except in the instance where it is not their restricted space. That is my largest gripe with the place they’re currently in.

It’s soulful to have the science hippies be WY corporate simps who would rather make greenos to take over the world for the company than kowtow to the MPs.

1 Like

That would be so much better for shipside RP. Having more WY personnel on board besides the CL by default maybe include those PMC guards V3nturis talked of. Imagine the potential.

5 Likes

Just some more pro WY roles (That actually work for WY) could add some interesting conflict shipside, and might make WY take more of a pressence instead of the CL who gets dunked on regularly.

3 Likes

yes because it makes no sense for the RnD department to be apart of the USCM last time i checked lockmart and raytheon didn’t have Private working for them

Just think of command and the MPs trying to figure out what research is up to and them trying to hide their mischiefs from them. I’d say it would make it far more interesting.

3 Likes

Given that military police as a role as design is ninety percent pointless nonsense and almost a hundred percent worthless that probably shouldn’t be your concern, friend.

Back on topic though.
I also miss the days doctors could be civilians.

2 Likes

I always thought it made sense for the researchers to be civvies. PMC guard spawn would be boring though. Maybe they could go down to the planet and do IO work, focusing solely on research docs and vials? Research has been lame for a while, and they could use all the help they could get.

3 Likes

Lots of whinging about MPs and yet they are still in the game and have policy, so yes it is a valid concern lol. If you want to keep Marines out of research for balance and mechanical reasons, a good way to justify that is to make the Researchers civlian contractors.

1 Like

You could also make it “Wayland Yutani” land like an embassy, so that unless research isn’t/making a threat to the ship, it shouldn’t concern the MPs.

Of course breeding Xenomorphs would be seen as a threat to the ship along side other antagonistic actions.

4 Likes

I dont agree with rainbow stalin often but this deffo seems to be favorable to a good number of folks

1 Like

And what would those roles be? Do you have any examples apart from Goons/PMCs?

1 Like

Erm actually it’s Weyland :nerd_face:

1 Like

Just making research go under Weyland payroll would make some already, but you could probably add a very minor “foxtrot” spawn the CL can do once to wake up two goons to help him planetside or such.

Don’t know about static PMC roles as they would probably be bloat and just play like specific MPs or rifleman but painted white.

1 Like

I never and I still don’t understand which is the problem with the Research Wing being contractors of the W-Y. Them being contractors simply make all sense in all areas, apart from the one that its a military ship, but THAT single element can be easily justified according to the own game-lore. If you stop to analyse it lore-wise, the Weyland-Yutani have a stupidly-high lobbying power on the United Americas congress, I see it as something completely plausible if they just passed some type of amendment modification that obligated the Unites States forces to permit the presence of W-Y researchers onboard UA vessels (in the same way they obligated them to have a W-Y Representative, aka CL, onboard), with the single purpose of auxiliating Weyland-Yutani on using less of their own budget to proceed with the researches they want to proceed with. Instead of paying for and keeping lots and lots of research-type space vessels, they could just literally install a wing in every patrol ship on the USCM fleet, and the thing would literally pay itself. Of course, we should also add the much lower costs that would be generated with that type of action: If something wrong somehow happened onboard those Vessels because of questionable experiments, the cost would all be in the USCM fleet! As they would simply cover every evidence that would say its their fault. On the other hand, I do believe medical (medical department) should still be part of the military, or at least 90% of it.

4 Likes

I think it would be so cool to have that avenue of RP open up :open_mouth:

1 Like