Tallfission - Moderator Application

Moderator Application - Tallfission

What is your BYOND key?

Tallfission

What is your Discord username?

nusixx

What characters do you play on CM-SS13?

Keaton Howard, Cecelia (Previously Aiden Bashline)

Are you 16 or older?

Yes

Timezone:

US EST

On average, how many hours are you available to moderate in an average week?

20-30, fluctuates.

Qualifications:

Do you have previous experience in game or community moderation?

I’m a CO councillor which is partially moderating/judging other COs. I was also staff on a now defunct SS13 server a while ago (It didn’t last long, and I forgot the name, sadly)

Provide any links to any previous CM-SS13 whitelist, mentor or staff applications:

Two are on the old forums which are lost to time.

https://forum.cm-ss13.com/t/mentor-application-tallfission/937/16
Mentor, approved
https://forum.cm-ss13.com/t/tallfission-commanding-officer-application/1889/32
CO, approved
https://forum.cm-ss13.com/t/tallfission-synthetic-application/3637/17
Synthetic, approved

Have you ever been banned for more than 24 hours on CM-SS13?

A few times.

Can you actively engage and communicate with the team through Discord?

Yes

Final Details:

Why would you like to join the CM-SS13 staff team?

Firstly, because sometimes there just aren’t enough staff on to handle tickets, especially on lowpop when I see ONE developer and two mentors online.

Second, because I want to respond to faxes people send more consistently, even if it doesn’t involve sending them anything and is just a simple ‘Hi, you exist’. By extension, this means I’ll probably get to use HTML in my faxes now! (god I want HTML so bad for my paperwork)

Third, events! I have a bunch of ideas that I think most people will find to be fun, and would be more than happy to chip them in. I understand that as a Moderator I won’t have the authority to run much of anything but I still want to be there to help out where I can when someone who’s able to run them is around.

Fourth, to uphold a roleplay standard. By smiting LRP goons and encouraging people with subtle messages, environmental narrations, so on so forth.

What makes you a great addition to Staff? (Experienced Tabletop DM, Aliens Lore Buff, Super Organized, etc.?)

I’m told that I am a good writer, and also have a pretty good knowledge of ALIENS lore. I’m more than familiar with marine law mostly because of how much i used to break it, as well as the server rules.

In your opinion, what is the most important quality of a CM-SS13 staff member?

There’s no one Most important quality, but there’s two things I think contend for it.

Consistency,
Because nobody likes a staff member who hands out inconsistent rulings. Stick to your word, and decisions, unless you know for a fact you’re wrong. In which case, admit you were wrong and learn from it. This looks a hell of a lot better to the community than going silent for a few days until people forget you messed up and helps you remember not to make said mistake again.

and Judgement.
First, because some rules can and should be waivered if the circumstances call for it. Obviously there are rules in place so the server doesn’t devolve into chaos (Rule 1, 3, 4, etc etc) but things like escalation and sanity rules can occasionally impact roleplay in a bad way.
Second, because not all punishments should be equal. I’m not going to ban someone if someone chairs the CO to unconsciousness during brief if this is the first offense they’ve had on the server ever (honestly if the CO can’t BE them before they go down then they probably deserved it anyways), but if this person has been banned twice in the past month for the exact same LRP stuff then yeah, I will.

Anything else you want to add?

My responses were a little longer.

Sadly I did not realize that backing out DELETED EVERY POST IN THIS SECTION AHHH

my sleep schedule fluctuates to conform with life, as do my interests! i’ll try to pitch in every now and then though, if at some point i do burn out on the server (unlikely)

8 Likes

Great player, great roleplayer. Definitely would be a decent mod

I think you nailed the quality question and those two qualities are exactly what I would expect and want from staff.

Enforcing the rules to the letter without considering the RP and player enjoyment aspects and just acting like a ban robot is something that should be avoided.

1 Like

Has run the gamut from rulebreaker to memer to absolutely killer RPer and CO councilor.

Tallfission has the experience and background to help where it matters and has taken on every responsibility and expectation so far without faltering.

I’m extremely excited to see what Tallfission can bring to the team. +1

Keaton is a super fun character to interact with. Their roleplay is second to none, and tallfission is fun to interact with on the discord. They’d make a great mod.

+1

1 Like

Hello Tallfission,

I think your answer to “what is the most important quality of a CM-SS13 staff member” demonstrates you have a complex and nuanced understanding of the rules, an understanding which current staff (to include myself) still sometimes struggle to maintain. You are indeed an excellent writer, and I think you could really liven-up the fax and RP element that staff are expected to engage with. I have personally only had positive experiences with you, and if I were going to base my assessment off you on a personal level, you would easily have my support.

However, I have some reservations about giving this my full undivided support namely due to your checkered past, and with specific regards to your breach of Rule 2: Roleplay. There is no doubt in my mind that you bring high levels of roleplay to the server, but I think your notes potentially paint an… inconsistent picture regarding how you treat baseline expectations. That could prove problematic as staff members are expected to be inextricable from the rules of the server; how can we expect players to follow rules that we neglect?

I am willing to accept the argument that you have since “run the gamut” as Morrow has put it, but I would like to hear from you how that transformation happened.

Hi! Thanks for the kind words. I will say, there’s a good few notes recently (relatively speaking) that I’ve had for LRP. I’ve been doing my absolute best to take them and learn from them, though - I’m not perfect. Sometimes I would get upset at the game, or do something I thought was funny, other times I’d just make a passing comment in hivemind that wasn’t the most sensible. I’ve been trying to get better about this.

I won’t get too deep into the change I’ve made because I’m a little ashamed of what I used to do, still. But, a while ago (late 2020 to early 2022-ish?) I used to play CM and accumulated a laundry list of notes for anything from LRP to griefing. I wasn’t particularly well liked by the community to my knowledge (except for 2-3 people) and after I realized this and got noted I decided to take around an 8 month hiatus. I missed CM, and the people seemed nice to me - and I wanted back in. I had my eyes set on the synthetic whitelist for a while, at first, as a goal to reach, but CO had also become very appealing to me. Since then I’ve been working hard on rulebreaks, trying to help around the community and trying to be better to people. (Which, thankfully, I think has worked.)

I’m going to continue to do better and help around more. If I haven’t already met the standard, in anyone’s eyes, so be it - but I think I have. I wouldn’t have applied if I didn’t think I did.

if you do want more detail than this, please DM me on discord

2 Likes

It doesn’t happen often, but every once in a while someone seems to completely ricochet from one end of the community to the other. It’s a strange phenomenon, but one you seem to embody. I’d have a difficult time envisioning you as the person portrayed in your notes.

+1

To not simply echo what people like Morrow have said: Tallfission’s a great person, and I mean that in the sense that they can carry themselves very well socially, or at least from my own experience. From my own tenure in Staff, I can say that being able to cope with stressful situations, including taking insults or insinuations to the face, takes a certain type of character to cope with for a lengthy period of time, and I think Tall’s got the mindset to not get negatively affected by it.

That aside, I can’t think of anyone I know who has ever spoken negatively about Tall unironically, and they’re also a CO Councillor, so clearly they must be doing something right. Right? Right.

Anyways, yeah, big +1 from me. Love this fellow.

3 Likes

I told you to do it and you did. Pogging out of my gord rn.

Has already done a multitude of events in conjunction with other staff, and is a joy of a peep with a spotless track record.

+1

I’m not going to lie, I wasn’t even aware you had a history of LRP. Every interaction we’ve had, you showed yourself to be able to play a consistent, believable character that felt like I was talking to an actual person, not some Twitter OC or some dude who watched too many military films. So, needless to say, I’m not even gonna consider that history.

You being a CO Councilor is a big plus. The community isn’t handing out CO WLs, much less CO Councilor positions willy-nilly, so even if I didn’t know you, I could trust that you’d take the moderator position seriously. Plus, as you’ve said, CO Councilor is pretty much a moderator to COs, so you’ve got relevant experience to boot!

+1 from me. Probably not saying much, seeing as I only joined the community less than a year ago, but still, I couldn’t imagine a better candidate for a moderator than you.

2 Likes

Every interaction I’ve had with you has been nothing but what one would call awsomesauce.
HRP, nice to interact, certainly carries with themselves knowledge to pull this through!

+1!

A lovely man i for some reason keep on assuming he is in staff.

+1

+1 experienced with wrangling, good person, barely any rulebreaks if any and a good understanding of rules
being generally liked in the community is quite rare and is a big plus too
conscript this woman at once

2 Likes

Other fellows said it already, they’ve gone from griefer to CO councillor and even though my voice might not be worth much, I’ve only had good experiences with Tall. I can also only speak from my own experiences with them and even though it might seem little, I’ll vouch for them in my belief they would be a great addition to CM’s staff.

1 Like

Im glad to see you apply as you are somone I think would be good for CMSS13 staff but I will be the evil staff member who asks you some Awnsers. there is no wrong questions but this would give us some general ideas of what would need to be taught (if accepted which so far looking good) also +1 from me

1. The CL is constantly faxing W-Y For a ERT squad because the MP’s are attempting to arrest him for a legitimate reason
  2. Xenomorphs are hijacking and no ERT requests have been sent out and marines are hijacking(only two options for this question) A. Do you force a ERT B. No ERT sent out
  3. A XO drops a OB on fob and you start to talk with the XO and while you are talking with them they do it again. they claim both times it was a accident and they were trying to do a supply drop
  4. Somone makes a Ahelp about you specifically while you are in round and there are no other staff members online, what do you do
    #3 is a actual ahelp I have delt with so enjoy, there are no wrong awnsers. Just fun questions to awnser while we wait on management

HI!! Thanks! glad to see u here

I’ll give my answers here,

“Dear (X),
After careful review of your situation, we’ve deemed it necessary to enlist the help of our crack legal team here at Weyland-Yutani. Please do your best to comply with local law enforcement. Our lawyers are hard at work to get this situation rectified!
Expect word from a representative within 3-7 business days.
///
Jamie L. Watson, Weyland-Yutani Law Office - Luna, AP-155 Main, Weyland-Yutani Luna Division Headquarters

So, this depends really. Sometimes the XO/CO deliberately doesn’t want to call an ERT because of the possibility of it being hostile - which is fine! I don’t want to interfere here. However, if it’s very lowpop and there is no XO/CO, and depending on if the aCO has been particularly silent or absent the whole operation, and if people seem to want an ERT, then I’ll forcecall it. Generally speaking I won’t force an ERT on hijack.

It depends on the attitude, how many command and hours in the game at all they have, I’d say. If I’m talking with them actively… and they do it again… that’s, oof. I highly doubt that’s unintentional behavior. I still would want to be 100% sure it was intentional before I struck them down with a ban for griefing or the like, though. I’d probably tell them to stay away from the consoles as well so they don’t do it AGAIN (assuming there were even any warheads left to do it with) and give them a note/heavy warning/ban depending on how apologetic they seem and if they’re particularly rude in the ahelp.

I’d probably try to get somebody else online to handle it, and if that fails, then leave it be 'till someone else notices it / tell them they can make a PR on the forums if they’re not happy about something.

Heya!
I’ve looked into this application and I should be able to handle it fully.
Just like some of the other recent applications there is a bunch of community support so that’s a good sign. The same goes for staff support and that is also very good.

When it comes to notes it does indeed look like you did a pretty good turn around so that seems fine.
A bad note history is pretty bad but its not a total turn off. You improved and the note system is there to try and promote that, so since you did really improve that seems like its not an indication of possible bad behaviour in the future.

I think your answers to the questions were fine also. Small note would be on question 4 where you probably should take action at some point if its something that requires staff action, or just tell them to player report it if its them ahelping you breaking a rule.

Anyways I think most of the signs are good and you seem to be really motivated to become a staff member.
So consider this application accepted. Look in your DMs and we can get everything needed sorted!

Added mod:approved and removed mod:waiting