What ranking system would you prefer?

I’m pretty new but I think that the ranking system, particularly in regard to how play time can give your character a fluff promotion in some roles, is pretty good. I will say that I think that the SL should have that same fluff-promotion from SGT to SSGT, for the same reasons that its cool for riflemen to go from PVT to PFC.

I miss the days too where Cargo techs and MTs were sergeants and the like.

4 Likes

Amen brother.

2 Likes

Gold+ enlisted marines getting a rank boost by 1 rank (eg: Pfcs with Gold+ medal being LCPL, medics with gold+ being Corporals, SLs with gold+ being SSGTs wouldn’t be too crazytbh if we truly are basing everything off the marines.

But it might create some weird rank dynamics at the level of SL (eg: a non-gold+ SL being the same starting rank as a gold+ FTL). So…eh.

That’s why I shy away from that suggestion and put forth a poll using old, adapted CM USCM squad ranking structure. 58 voters and we are 72% in favor and 28% against at the moment. It’s kind of clear what people preferred/would prefer.

End of the day: We aren’t truly comparable to the USCM in squad structure or squad capabilities or even how we operate as a unit both in the game sense or in the lore sense. So why do we try to shoehorn in USMC squad ranks and structure even when it isn’t popular and there existed a long used alternative that everyone was fine with

Taking your argument: If it doesn’t matter, then even more reason to change it. A definitive majority support the alternative.

That’s not an attack either on your viewpoint. Originally, when the change was occurring, I made the same argument. Why even change it? There were no issues with the old system, it worked fine when there were issues involving rank shenanigans, and the (now current) ranking system for squads wasn’t strong in popularity as a change then … nor is it now it seems.

Honestly, why not do both?

have some squads be SSGT, SGT, CPL, LCPL. PFC and others the one we have now, make it be randomized each round.

adds depth to the ranks 2 squads with an SSGT SL and 2 squads with a SGT SL

hell for the make it so there is a % chance of a squad having a 1st LT SL that runs Echo that CO’s can opt in on. rather then having a chance for the commands plan to have an echo squad.
there is so much we can do with ranks if we just decided to be a bit more creative with it.

I’m going to suggest the change everyone definitely secretly wants but nobody is brave enough to suggest

add full persistant promotion system, forcibly make people play only the jobs they have the rank of, so the 4000 hour PFC can only play FTL and SL

4 Likes

lol

Insert old player coming back with only like 80 hours since the time update being like: “Why am I banned from everything except CT and Pfc…”

3 Likes

Old ranking system + civilian medbay is the way to go.

5 Likes

I made this PR a long time ago to adjust paygrades above 120 players.

1 Like

:red_circle: Old person detected :red_circle:

I also remember those days and agree. A modern day equivalent would be a Marine detachment deploying from a carrier. The SO, CO,XO, could be ether. They could be the CO/XO of the Falcons, but not the CO/XO of the ship or both depending on the order of battle. The most of the support personnel like the CE and QM would use naval ranks, with possibly a few exceptions like the mess tech. IRL corpsmen use naval ranks,. since they are naval personnel. I think hybrid ranks works better, and allow for more RP.

4 Likes

Either way anything to flesh out of what we currently have more. Ranks mean nothing. If it felt more diverse among roles then id think that would be better than “all of X have this rank so that means i am superior to them because no matter what X is always gonna have this rank.”

My abilty to type takes a nosedive whenever there are xenos about.

I don’t agree with civilian medbay unless the entire medical/research department is under the wing of weyland yutani (and helps explain why the almayer even has a research department in the first place)

but then that would put the weyland yurani CL at the top of the department and effectively “high command” for them which I’m not sure people would be happy with.

3 Likes

I think a civilian medical bay would be quite interesting. Certainly would give the CL more to do each round.

1 Like

Very good point. It would honestly depend on the CL’s ability to RP. With a great RP’r, amazing potential. Terrible RP’r, border line grief.

1 Like

This would at least give the cl some actual power to throw around. Because right now they essentially have no power, and can essentially just be locked in their office if the CO deems it.

Now I’m not saying they should blackmail the CO to do what they want by shutting down departments, that’s cringe. But if the CO or aCO is very anti WY or just straight up goes against contracts (shooting the goons for example. Happens way more often then you think) then you can do more then write a very angry fax that never gets used.

1 Like

I don’t think CLs should get that much power, many CLs go into research, yell “I own the place” and robust the researcher trying not to get softgreifed by the CL anyways, would be way worse with the CL actually owning the place and ordering people around.

1 Like

It all depends on the person, as any head of an area can essentially grief like that, and it doesn’t require much to get there. Just make CL a more RP demanding law on paper (make it so they can’t make WY look bad etc.) and I’d say it’s fine to give them that little extra.

They have to bow down to the CO for any other parts of the ship though.

1 Like