Your thoughts about Oily Amphibian

Mortars offset still needs either someone doing amazing math (Very rare, as 99% of the server still have a problem with seeing the difference between x and y), or that they already mortared with a flarecamera.

2 Likes

Mortar and CAS are basically the same thing, only difference being that CAS offsets its own and the flare and lase can be seen if you move 2-4 tiles towards it if you’re 12 tiles away, also CAS is loud and takes time to go through 0-y to 12-y (on graph scale)

Compared to mortar where the one who set the coords can litterally offset it for them since they have binoculars. Also 99%, damn bro… its litterally picturing a graph I don’t think its that much. Also adding onto mortar, you can have scout in the backlines lasing from cloak.

1-North South map is really terrible i think because of how CM work UI wise…
2-Beach Part : is very hard close to impossible if UPP is allowed to charge in.
(maybe some rock formation on the edge and some small cave on the side would help…)
3-First trench line with bunker seem fine to me compare to the rest.
4-everything behind just get swarmed after first line fall so that’s an huge problem since it only give caves and main base a solid second line.

I would also recommend a reduction of 25% of everything behind first line and only have a secondary line behind first line.
secondary line would protect the village.
village would be made to make ambushes on USCM forces…
Third line would be checkpoints to access the base.
and after that base would be made to have a lot of choke-point easy to hold in case entrance fall

could also see tunnels linking first and second line bunker to help with resupply and all safely…

at this point you better of remaking the all map i think maybe west east oriented or east west…
(lot’s of assets you can transfer…)

something like that it’s a very rough draw of it…

Maybe some nerfs on the village shops are in order and the removal of HEAP but apart from that the map is perfect, the village isn’t meant to be heavily fortified you can make makeshift checkpoints covering the east and west as the center already has one.

I’ve not played it in a long time.

On that note.

OpFor on any HvH event/map should be self-sustaining, this means.

• Full comms
  • Map announcement
  • Medical department with Doctors
  • Requisitions/Cargo with people
  • Actual supplies.

Basically OpFor needs a proper base with a functional logisitcal and medical system akin to what the Marines get. Furthermore OpFor needs a near equal amount of participants to the Marines.

I don’t recall if this is what Oily Amp has.

No tacmap. Has comms, which can be killed (and is between town and beach).
Has a base with req, med. Supplies are a non-issue. If anything, there is an over-abundance of said supplies. (Town is fucking stacked.)
Whether req actually works is debatable- I believe there are current issues related to actually being able to access it.

Overall, UPP has a significant advantage, and the USCM are quite literally cucked until they secure at least the bunkers, and maybe the 2nd defensive line.
The recent event run by Waseemq ended up exposing significant issues related to the map since it’s been ages, and so he and a bunch of other people are working hard to balance the map better (big props to them)

As for UPP needing == Marines, this is simply untrue, based off past OA events and the recent one.
Marines require at least 2x the number, given the extreme advantage in UPP firepower, armour & access to AP ammunition, not to mention extensive defensive fortifications and positions.

Having too much UPP from the start is worse, considering marines start off with 0 foothold, and if the first beach assault fails, the second beach assault is ALWAYS weaker (unless given better gear) in manpower, not to mention additional UPP fortifications and preparedness.
Marines should have a clear advantage that lets them push off the beach, and the event manager can add UPP/USCM ERTs over time to control the round flow.

Behold, the absolute state of UPP balance in the current edition of Oily Amphibian…

(Basic UPP armour = 30, Medium USCM armour = 20, EOD USCM & Heavy UPP armour = 35
(Ballistic Armour)

Waseemq asked for feedback after his event, and got a lot- So I’m pretty sure we should wait until it gets implemented, join his next event and then see if there’s still outstanding issues first.
I heard UPP-USCM rebalance (identical stats) was in progress for HvH mode, I have no clue if anyone’s actually working on it though.

There’s a current PR up (for testing) that equalizes most of the UPP weapons and armour for HvH. Ergo the issue becomes how things will proceed following that.

My commentary is more so meant for HvH on any map but Oily Amp, since most HvH events typically leave OpFor with no real logistical train, supplies or defences let alone fortifications.

1 Like

Wow command was bad

(okay actually though they have to PUSH the marines to get out there or else nothing will get done.)

Marines just rushing 3 bunkers COD style, and get surprised when they get MG42’d.

6 Likes

Research is almost useless without and intel in the HvH. the lack of points and no chemicals to scan is just unbearble.

Marines are noobs and lost again. WITH 3 TANKS, MARSOC, TWE, SCOPES, OB’S, CAS, MORTAR.

honestly skill issue

(platforms near the bunkers that you need to climb needa get removed)

5 Likes

Main issue:

In an amphibious assault or frankly, any siege battle of any kind, the assaulting forces always need to outnumber and outgun the defenders, because the main point of the defenses set up is to serve as a force equalizer at strategic points.

By being too uh, conservative on the amount of shit the attacking force gets, and having equal on-ground marines as UPP, no shit marines got wiped instantly in the last test round of this map. It was sad to see the admins having to emergency spawn two whole ass TWE ERTs and two tanks, and yet still get wiped due to same issues.

Besides that, other major points were:
1- Emplacements and fortifications that made a direct assault a suicide, but considering marines have pretty much no fire support (no comms) of any kind except a CAS with 1 GAU (are you serious) that has to fire blindly at random marking flares (that the throwing marine has to get into the “get instantly fucked by emplacements” range to even throw), no shit any attacking forces got decimated.
2- Defenders mortars and bombardments, meaning that they could just bomb from a safe place any retreat the marines made to try to recover from injuries and revive the dead. This means that once a marine is dead, he is effectively a burden to the rest of the marines who try to recover them because stopping to revive marines will get you killed by artillery, or setting any form of FOB will get you killed by artillery too.
3- Lack of any real comms, other than radio phones, making any sort of fire support mission or even coordination with REQ impossible. At a point as a TWE marine, I ran out of ammo, and all other marines had already been stripped of mags nor could I strip the ammo from UPP due to faction lock, and I couldn’t yell at any sort of command to send ammo. It was really frustrating.

1 Like

Honestly it’s a really fun map but it needs balance, even things like the distribution of AP mags amongst UPP is a bit much. I really hope that over time HVH gets integrated more into CM and becomes a regular occurrence to change up the gameplay loop rather than being a random special event. People seem to complain about everything new, especially if they aren’t winning, and I think its time to ignore some of those complaints that hold the game back from expanding

I honestly had a fun time as UPP Docktor. I didn’t really have any complaints other than not being able to buy reagent pouches. Everything else was fine.

OH! and please add mirrors to UPP preps I hate being bald

1 Like

I think the bunker’s ledges should be changed to be leapt quickly instead of the 3 second windup they currently have, would make it easier for USCM to get into the bunkers and hold it, rather than get shredded crossing it.

Alright my requests playing twice as an UPP medic/doctor would be:

• Please fill up the trays at the entry of medbay, they are empty.
  • Make sure that the sleeper console and the sleeper itself are connected or else it won’t work and with the fuckton of oxy that the UPP gets you are prone to deal with an OD for ages without the sleeper’s dialisis.
  • Let the UPP medbay have a very small lab to make chems.
  • Make it so the color bands work as a weird-techy-acessory thingy that both works as a radio encryption key and a tracker for your master serzhant.

My comments would be:

• With the HvH balance testmerge I’ve only seen fracs taken by people that took absurd ammounts of damage be it by the light tank or by sniper rounds, which is ideal.
  • I imagine that the peak of the event could be the intense urban fighting that could take place in the little town between beach and the UPP HQ, on top of the interactions that may arise by having civilians there.
    And that would be the reward for the USCM for being actually skilled for once and getting through the beach fortifications. Altough the skill issue is perpetual and guaranteed so:
  • The light tanks: Give them in batches of two and give it early on and give them with OBs. That way marines will actually have a decent chance of overwhelming the defences and getting through the toughest part of the map.
  • Let there be a small pod drop of a team of 3 or 4 scouts dropped in the backline to sabotage the UPP. It’s unlikely that they will kill the commander, the MPs, kill the mortar teams and do similar stuff all at the same time but it will slow and distract the UPP enough to make a quick and strong push capable of actually piercing the beach defences.
  • Give USCM researchers something to do. What? no idea, but if the task becomes impossible to pull off just remove all researchers slots for HvH.

Overall, I’d say that the event was kickass but if the end-goal of the HvH concept was having the urban fighting in the small town then the things that were done for empowering the USCM were good, it’s just that they weren’t done at the proper time.

1 Like

The current balance is great when in an even playing ground. I think this balance should be used for other HVH events such as shipside HVH. However, for Oily Amphibian, I think the attacker in this scenario deserves at least the use of functional 2x scopes (playing again i could be wrong, the 2x scope seems to be working.), tanks at the start, stronger cas, paratroopers dropped behind enemy lines (stole that from Mondongo) to act as a force multiplier.

Last match, it appeared marines were even with UPP in numbers which makes it very challenging to assault. At least make sure marines outnumber the UPP 3:1 at the start to allow a better chance for the marines to breach the bunkers.

CAS is underwhelming. I think leaving the printer as-is in normal mode is better, but you can only do one FM per flight, that means one CAS run in around 2 minutes. Direct fire needs to be off tho

2 Likes

FYI all your suggestions and whatnot are being considered and put into a neat little checklist. I’m looking at all your responses and while I’d love to respond to each one individually there’s just far too many.

There is intel spawned on the map, in the city as well as the main UPP base. Marines just need to push past the bunkers to actually get it (impossible)