Byond CKEY:

Squirrel7O

Discord ID:

812889740823101441 “Ava B / AV-XX-B” on the CM discord

Character Name(s):

Ava ‘Squirrel’ Biery
AV-XX-B

Why do you want to become a Mentor?:

As a non-mentor I like teaching new players when I see them, but generaly there are two problems with this, 1: new players don’t really look at LOOC, there is a wall of text and that is just a little pink line (Sometimes when teaching someone I ahelp to say why I am OOC speaking) and 2: If I am playing something more important like CMP or XO and I see someone new I really want to show them the basics but I can’t take away time from my actual role. After some time I decided that I think I have enough experience and knowledge to apply for mentor and be able to have a role that I can dedicate to teaching.

What gameplay areas do you know and which areas are you strong and weak in?:

—Strong:
-Command, I main XO both shipside and groundside and have played as every head of department except QM
-Medical, one of the first roles I really got into, I know surgery, what each medication does, what each tool does and how to make all of the usual medical chems
-Engineering, I have built FOB alone more than once on lowpop, know how to put together consoles, cameras, autolathes, hack doors, etc etc
-Marine law, as said earlier I play a lot of command and that requires ML knowledge specificaly for appeals, I also have played a good amout of MP so I can confidently say I know it well
-Jtach operation, I have manned both mortar and CAS many times, and I feel I can competently explain how both work
----Medium:
-OT: I know how to put together any of the explosives and how to make the basic chemicals like cyclo/napalm
-Requisitions: I don’t really play it very much mostly because its just not my thing, but I know how the pads work, how to order things and what things you should be ordering
-Xeno, I know how you are suposed to play each xeno and what is their function for the hive and though I have never played queen I know what are the begginer things a good queen should do
-CM/byond problems: I have for example showed new players that can’t speak because their keys are not binded how to reconfigure their key binds but I would not call myself a expert in these topics
Low:
-Reaserch, I know where to get some of the basic things like condensed capsasin, or how to do botany but I just don’t know any odd chemicals that are not listed on the wiki

How often are to able to play CM?:

Because of personal reasons my play times can vary A LOT from week to week. Average is probably 1-2 rounds per day.

A screenshot or transcript of your human and xeno playtimes:

Human:
https://gyazo.com/14d4c80a750cc792c893fbe8870520a3 (pt1)
https://gyazo.com/bf9fcb7c47c9681dcd072b47a35fedec (pt2)
Xeno:
https://gyazo.com/460868218de0e332b0b2a18f5686bd29

Anything else you’d like to add?:

I am not a all knowing CM player and I am sure there are still tips and tricks I can learn but I think I will make a good fit into the mentor team and I know enough to teach any role on CM to a begginer so they can go on their natural learning curve.

Cheers.

1 Like

Just wanted to give a small uptade on a few things.

First is that I have played more requistions and while I have not exactly learned anything because I already knew what needed to be known I can say with confidence that I can run it alone and am very much capable of explaining it to someone new to the game.

Second is that since I have not gotten very much comunity support I wanted to encourage anyone reading this to ask a few questions, since like that I can at least show that I know what I am talking about.

Thanks.

1 Like

I never played req, I have been thinking about it though, so to kill 2 birds with one stone…

1. What do all the color pads north requisitions do?

2. How do you give crates to the fob from requisitions?

3. Someone wants some radio keys, where do you get them? [I think this is separate from the req vends at line]

4. Tell some cardinal rules not to break as a req hand.

1 Like

Hello, thanks for asking, here go my answers (What I write here is what I would return in the Mhelp):

1: Hello. There are 5 pads there, Echo (E) and the four squad pads (A,B,C,D). All the pads send crates groundside with the only difference being that you can control the coords from echo pad using the computer above it in req, while the rest of the pads must be sent from CIC by command. For example, if you wish to send a frontline crate, you can load up a crate on alpha pad then call alpha OW telling them that you have a crate on their pad, command will then get coords for it and send it when they like.

2: Hello. First, to send a crate to FOB you need coords, these can be gotten by asking squad marines to give them to you through the radio, once you have them, input the coords into the computer above echo pad (the one with a E on it). All that is left to do from there is to place a crate with everything you want to send on the pad and click send.

3: Hello. The squad, and support radio keys, can be found in the vendor that is in the bottom left corner of req in a little room, the same vendor that has clothes.

4: Hello. For me one of the easier mistakes to make is to accept anything that is requested, especially when it comes to specs. This happens because many times at round start, specs will request ammo that they just want for later, and while it is good to maintain them supplied, you should only buy it the moment they are getting low, else you could spend like 3k on SADAR rockets only to have them be captured 10 minutes into the drop.

I hope these also help you with your future req career ;).

Good job answering, I did not know that OW needed to set coords for the A,B,C,D crate drops.
Interesting that Echo can be set by requisitions though.

+1

1 Like

Good day, this app has been up for a while now and since the overseer came back I am here to do some “checkup”, so since you are low on xeno hours I’ll ask you in said category in mhelps of course:

1- I am a hivelord and i can’t seem to regen plasma fast enough, matter of fact i am even losing it, what’s going on?

2- what are these resin fruits and what do they do?

3- I am a healer, what is this sacrifice ability?

4- I have 500 evo points but i am not able to evolve to T3 although there is a slot open.

5- I can’t join as a lesser, even though there is a queen and a hive core.

1 Like

+1 from me.
Good answers in this Application.
Good interaction with the player and good knowledge on ML from my past interactions.
Good Luck Sqirrel70!

1 Like

Hello, sorry for the delay, I was a bit busy with IRL stuff and just have not been around very much.

1. Hi, as a xeno you regenerate plasma VERY slowly when not on weeds, if you want to gain it faster you can try emitting recovery pheromones or asking a fellow xeno to emit some (While on some weeds). As to why you are loosing plasma, it could mainly be because of two reasons: 1) When you build you use plasma. 2) Emitting pheromones uses a little bit of plasma once in a while, so if you spend too much time off weeds it will slowly go down as it won’t regenerate fast enough.

I will admit I don’t know what each individual fruit does off of the top of my head, but I know that you can use the “examine” function to find out once it is placed so my answer would go something like this:

1. Hi, resin fruits are structures you can place either as a healer or gardener drone, healers can only place lesser fruits that heal a bit when eaten, but gardeners can place a wide variety of resin fruits, that when eaten by a xeno give them a effects depending on which one it is, for example the Greater fruit (green) will heal a chunk of health once eaten. If you want to quickly know the effect of each fruit, you can examine one that is placed and it will tell you.

2. Hi, the sacrifice ability kills you immediately but heals the fellow xeno you used it on a lot and instantly. This should usually be reserved for when lets say, the queen is about to die and you want to be a hero to the hive and save them.

3. Hi, it is probably because the queen died recently, you will need to wait for another xeno to become a queen and then you should be able to evolve.

4. Hi, supposing the hive is not at its maximum limit in lessers, it is probably because the hive core generates lesser drone slots over time and you just need to wait a little bit for a slot to generate, this is much faster if the queen is on ovi.

Don’t mention it, life comes first of course.

Hivelord has a toggleable ability Resin walker, it spends plasma per second to maintain and some people forget to untoggle it sometimes, answer is good but he might not know this even spends plasma to begin with.

Then again all answers look very thorough (let’s be real no one knows resin fruits names, only the color), Which is the most important aspect since a poor answer will only lead to more questions, by this you have my support +1 on this, Goodluck soon.

1 Like

Honestly I find kind of awkward the lack of engagement that this post received. Haven’t played with squirrel a lot but they gave me an excelent 1st impression. I’ve seen them having the patience, consistancy and knowledge that (I imagine) makes a good mentor. Instant +1 from me.
+1 aside, I’d like to leave you some questions to showcase your knowledge on some topics. Most of these aren’t the kind of question that have 1 right answer, the idea is that they are open-ended enough that the answers will yield some insight at how much you know about the topic at hand, go nuts. Good luck.

1. A new-ish SO feels like he is just playing a slightly more restrictive ghosting simulator. What is your advice to them?
  2. John McRobusto arrives to the medbay with 6 fractures and 1 IB, medbay is understaffed and it’s already accumulating patients. What advice would you give to a doctor so he could make the surgery as fast as possible?
  3. Requisitions needs to send down some metal but the ship has already been deconstructed. Is there another way to send down metal?
  4. “The P.A.C.M.A.N. Generator that I’m trying to use to power up comms on not working despite the fact that it is on and fueled, what have I done wrong?”
  5. LcCpl Juan Baldy has had tons of PFC whine “This cadeline sucks” and it does indeed, suck. What advices could you give him to fix his cadeline?’
  6. The Alamo is about to hit the almayer. How do you activate red alert, enable evac and send a distress beacon? Asking for a friend.

And the last one is about the mentor experience, I’m not a mentor so this question might be useless.

1. Pvt John Calvicie woke up and he is looking for some clothes in the apparel vendor instead of his own rifleman vendor, PFCs tried to teach him to speak but he remains mute. How do you call his attention?
1 Like

Heya, thanks for the +1. Here is my go at your questions:

Very common on SO players, even happened to me at a point, so my advice would go something like this:

1. Give a general count on things, this could be xenos on a front, amount of marines groundside, amount of active comtechs or specs etc etc. It is always useful for command to know these things and can sometimes really change decision making therefore the round.
  2. Support the squad lead. It happens a lot that marines leave their SL after the initial movements of the round, so if you tell them many times to stick to their SL till they do, groundside cohesion will go up dramatically and make maneuvers like flanks that require a good amount of coordination much more possible.
  3. Just have fun with it. Groundside has been a siege for 2 hours and there is not much to report on? Go get CIC some coffee, ask the MST for food, small actions like these will not only make your round better, but other peoples rounds too, get creative (still do your job tho).

My initial thought was that if there are a lot of people that need surgery, to deal first with the hugged ones, then IB, then organ damage, then delimbs and then fracs, but if they really needed to do this surgery as fast as possible this would be my advice:

1. Get a IV bag with blood on them and just don’t do the clamping step
  2. You can skip over “widening the opening” step by using the scalpel on disarm intent after opening the body part

So for the fracs it would be “Scalpel-Scalpel(on disarm)-Bone gel- Setter- cautery” Basically saving two steps of time per frac, though they should deal with the IB first where you can apply the same ideas.

I was able to think of a few creative solutions but they are mostly to be used if the ship has REALLY been deconstructed and all the barrels in maint cleared.

1. With intel points but more req points, probably the most basic and expensive.
  2. Ask the staff officers in CIC to get the engineering kit from the vendor in the armory, this should give 50 metal per SO and 40 plast too (unsure on the amounts but it is a lot)
  3. You can get metal from a crate on the aftship(east) side of reactors and from the emergency storage in upper engineering.
  4. Check the cryo storage in req, sometimes comtechs just go to sleep with like 50 metal in their construction pouch, this can be useful too for things like SG ammo (not even joking I once found 7 full drums of SG ammo in there) this can also be done with dead comtechs in the morgue though I have never seen anyone do it.

If they have the generator within the APC area (Just place it near the APC) I think it should be fine and it should be working, it is probably just not generating enough power and they need to open the generator panel, and press the + button on the power output until the APC says it is being charged, if it still does not work they should get a super pacman or just a second pacman.

There are many things that can be wrong with a cade line depending on where it is or why it is there so it would come down a lot to the situation, if I had to give general advice I would probably say to:

1. Place folding cades at the edges, and align them with the ones from other cade lines (Don’t make mazes)
  2. If you are placing cades near a corner, place it one tile before the corner, not right at it.

But really I would send them the link to this guide Comprehensive Comtech Guide - General / Guides - CM-SS13 - Forums since I feel like it has all you need to know, mostly in the “fortification Theory and Practice” section.

Your friend is in some serious trouble, anyhow:
Before calling evac or a beacon you first need to call red alert, this is done from the ID scanners right next to the CIC bubble, first you need to click with a empty hand on the scanner and click the red alert button, next you will need to scan your ID on one of the two scanners and have a high ranking buddy do the same on the other, if you have nobody else you can stand between the two ID scanners and swipe on both quickly, this should work the same (I have found that sometimes the ID swipe does not register so click like 3 times quickly on each).

Next is evac and distress, both can be done from the command tablet or the ship computer in the CIC bubble, simply click twice on the buttons that say “Evac” and “Distress beacon” and it will activate.

Well, first of all I would approach them and say something like “Hi, need some help?” they probably won’t answer as they haven’t with others already, next I would ask in LOOC if they can speak or not, if they just stare blankly at me I would guess they don’t and tell them to press “T” if it does not work I would guide them to go to preferences at the top right and tell them how to bind a key to speak (Once I did this as a CMP with someone who couldn’t speak).

If when I ask them if they can speak, they just continue on with their activities and ignore me, I would try grabbing some uniform, armor and throw it on the ground pointing at it, maybe like that they will pay attention to me or something, from there I will mostly try to make them go to their vendor and tell them what each thing does even if they don’t answer, probably asking them once in a while if they know how to speak just to make sure they hear me ask them.

I hope you like my answers, have a good one :).

2 Likes

All around great answers. Only made me more confident with the +1 to be honest.

1 Like

Was a lrp last year but improved throughout the days. +1

1 Like

+1.Every interaction with this player has been top notch. Has the xeno and marine hours.

1 Like

Alrighty, almost ready to make my decision after you answer my next question we’ll give our final decision. While I have my own thoughts about the CO application system there was a concern about your knowledge of SOP/tools available to you as a CO. Just tell me what you know about the SEA’s tools, restrictions, and special privileges and how you think they relate to how you would play.

Hi sorry for taking a bit, I wanted to answer yesterday but got home way too late and didn´t have time.

The restrictions as a SEA are very clear in the guidelines, no MP, OW, chem(research) or OT duties, I would be able to guide people on how to do things in those areas, like the steps on how to build a OT rocket, but I should not be doing the job myself. I can assist in parts of the operation but mostly in minor ways like taking xeno bodies into research or crate hauling, assisting departments in direct ways should be reserved for when it is critical and I am the last option. If there is a person for something, I should let them do it and guide if needed, not immediately do it myself just for the fun of it.

As for tools I think the two mains ones are: the imaginary friend and the overhead LOOC, the second one is rather simple since the same restrictions for normal LOOC should apply, just that this time it would be more visible for new players. For the imaginary friend it is like the LOOC but used when ghosted, a bit more IC, strictly for teaching (No nonsense) and with the added rule that if a player does not want for me to continue as the imaginary friend I just need to stop (This last rule should also apply to LOOC and teaching in general since my job as a SEA/mentor would consist in helping and making the experience better for them, not worse).

On the topic of how it would relate to how I play, if I wanted to do MP duties during a round I would simply join in as a MP, same for research, OT and overwatching. If I join as a SEA it is because I want to teach new players (Which I do want to do) not do other jobs that already have a assigned role for them.

I hope you feel satisfied with my answer, have a good one.

1 Like

Accepted.

1 Like

Added mentor:approved and removed mentor:waiting