Spypig23

What is your Discord ID?

spy23_

What is your timezone in UTC?

UTC +10

Player Name You Use Most?

Steve Murphy

Ban Appeals, Whitelist and Staff Applications:

As a new player in 2018, I was job-banned from CE for two instances of mid-round SSD. About a year later, I successfully appealed, but I can’t for the life of me find the actual post.

Have you been banned in the last 3 months?

Nothing beyond an accidental EORG

If so, why?

Command Knowledge:

How familiar are you with command positions?

Extremely, in both ship-side and ground-side command roles. Starting with shipside command, I am more than capable of managing CIC alone or with a crew (as comes with a low pop timezone) having what is approaching 200 hours on SO, much of which was spent as aCO of the operation. I am a competent doctor/CMO, with most of my hours in both being unrecorded, and my HM experience filling the gaps. I am decently good at handling the Req department, with 10 hours on CT in which I often was completely alone.

Although I only have 7.4 hours recorded on MP, I played almost all of my MP and CMP hours unrecorded, and to prove this I am willing to entertain any and all ML questions, no matter the complexity, to vouch for my competency.

In terms of groundside command, while my measly 80 hours of SL may not seem like a whole lot, my 391.7 hours on HM make the flow of battle almost second nature to me. Half of a medic’s job is assessing the health and stability of any marine front, a skill I have adapted very well to Squad Lead. I am not very good at coordinating CAS strikes, but I make up for it with a fairly sound ability to place OBs and Mortar in combat

As a Commander, I first started playing SO under Windhealer back in the day, before taking a two-year break, and starting to test the waters with XO. I’d say it was CO Hange, Richblood, and XO Chyler whose styles have most strongly influenced me over that time

I will note that, due to my unfortunate positioning on planet Earth relative to America, Steve Murphy has almost always been on low-pop CM, meaning that community recognition may not come as readily as it would for other applicants, and to keep it in consideration through my application

Hours in XO:

Hours in SL:

Character Information:

Why did your character decide to become the CO of a ship?

Murphy is a character brought up to understand the burden of hard choices. He recognizes that, in order to do what is ultimately the right thing in his eyes, someone must bear the responsibility of getting blood on their hands in the process. After experiencing the loss of his colony in a UPP bombing run, an attack Murphy had a hand in instigating through his efforts to secure the freedom of the planet from its occupation, he turns to the USCM as a means of not just revenge, but also to redeem himself for his inability to save his family and home on LV-440. Despite knowing that the UPP and USCM are analogous in almost all ways, Murphy chooses to sacrifice his conscience and fight for the lesser evil to bring about the downfall of the UPP, emboldened by the horrors of his past.

Murphy pushes himself to the position of CO, because he views it as the only true path to avenge his father’s loss, and vindicate a mistake he made that ultimately caused it

How did your character attain the position of CO?

Murphy, after fighting for the independence of his colony on LV-440 in something akin to an a CLF cell (although not affiliated with the group), was enlisted to a special task force within the United Americas Intelligence Directorate (UA-I), utilizing guerilla warfare to rid the planet of its UPP occupiers.

Following a failed assassination of a high-ranking UPP officer in the region, Murphy’s team directly instigated a UPP bombing attack on the very colony they were fighting to liberate, destroying it and killing a majority of its residents.

Set on revenge, Murphy leveraged his time in the UA-I’s clandestine “Horizon” team to join the USCM officer training program, eventually being promoted from 1st Lieutenant to Captain following his participation in Operation Canton.

Provide a short story of your CO.

My document is split into 3 parts, and written to be read IC by a USCM Major reviewing Murphy’s promotion. While it is formatted to be a report, sections often turn into 1st person stories, which you should imagine like a flashback in a movie

• The first part is almost all worldbuilding, and is very short
  • The second part is an epilogue for Murphy as a character
  • The third part is the longest, and the meat of the story

Command Actions:

When do you believe it’s appropriate to pardon a prisoner?

Throughout my time as XO or as SO, I have yet to find a case where I believe Steve Murphy would issue a complete and full pardon.

Generally, Murphy views the law as something that is pretty cut and dry, believing that regardless of intention, consequences are a price that must inevitably be paid. That being said, I do understand that there is always room for a bit of leeway with ML when it comes to intent, as well as the ill-defined spirit of the law.

Nine times out of ten, Murphy will prefer an appeal over an outright pardon, as he views them as a much more robust and considerate legal tool. However, an appeal process can occasionally be difficult to conduct in a timely manner, as the process of arrest is often quite challenging, particularly when a Marine is involved. As such, I think Steve Murphy may be willing to pardon prisoners and issue arrest cancellations on hyper-specific and rare circumstances.

Such circumstances often involve different flavors of insubordination, and various minor crimes vaguely carried out in exceptional situations where individuals shoulder the responsibility to ‘do the right thing’ when the law fails them. A VERY vague term that I will clarify in my examples

In all of my over 300 hours in CIC, I have never found a situation where CO Murphy would consider a pardon of a Major crime

Give some examples of when you would or would not use pardon.

Our sole QM is discovered to have illegally modified an ASRS console at some point during the operation, potentially having allowed dangerous black market supplies to circulate onboard the Almayer. Murphy can understand how a restrictive budget could justify this action as for the ‘good of the operation’, but finds the risk to his vessel unacceptable, and cannot forgive a high-ranking officer (at the time) for knowingly acting in such a reckless manner, for such little return to the Marine Corps (a few dodgy, potentially defective firearms). As the XO at the time, and as CO in the future, Murphy sends an MP to the Req department, charging the QM with minor Damage to Government Property, as well as minor/major Contraband depending on the nature of what the QM had ordered, if anything at all. Murphy would verbally order the QM to comply with an NJP to repair the modified ASRS consoles and perform 15 pushups, plus prison time depending on the magnitude of the Contraband charge. Should the QM refuse (and cuss out me as the XO, which they did at the time), CO Murphy would have them arrested, having them serve a complete sentence in the Brig, waving the DASO, and assigning a member of shipside staff to Req (ASO, SO or willing MP). Murphy would NOT exercise a pardon in this situation.

During a slow-moving Hive assault on New Varadero, a small team of Bravo Marines organize an unauthorized flank behind enemy lines, with the XO/CO noticing the movement and ordering an immediate withdrawal. The team, as is expected, draws the attention of the Queen and is quickly surrounded by Xenomorph forces, becoming unable to return to the FOB before they can comply with the Commander’s orders. Despite the seemingly certain doom of the team, their accidental effort to distract the Hive had allowed the frontline to slip through the token Xeno defensive line, and kill the Queen whilst she attacked the Bravo flank unit, ultimately proceeding to crush the now disoriented hive. CO Murphy, assuming he is on the ground with the Marine front, would pardon each member of the team of Major Insubordination, and deliver a stern speech about the absolute idiocy of their maneuver considering their abysmal numbers, before clapping them on the back, and sending them back to base. (Real scenario experienced as an XO)

During an operations briefing by the XO, the CMP walks down the middle of the hangar, points at the XO, and announces they are under arrest for minor Damage to Government Property, alleging they broke a window in the OT department. The entire Marine Corps begins pointing at the CMP and body blocking the Captain as they move to make an arrest. CO Murphy (a Staff Officer at the time), directly asks the CMP to “allow the Captain to perform a briefing before pushing the charge”, understanding that an arrest in front of the Marines would not only hamstring the momentum of the operation, but may also result in the CMPs cannibalization at the hands of Delta squad. The CMP refuses the suggestion from Murphy, and proceeds with the arrest as the Briefing devolves into chaos. Considering the ridiculousness of the crime in question, CO Murphy would issue both a pardon and an arrest cancellation for the XO, allowing them to continue their briefing. The CMP would then be placed under investigation for the borderline seditious manner in which they conducted their arrest, and be reminded of sensible arrest procedures.

When do you believe it’s appropriate to use a Battlefield Execution?

As a concept, a BE is a tool that is wielded for OOC, but mainly IC reasons, of which I’ll speak about my philosophy on both.

Beginning with the obvious side of a BEs use, maintaining the stability of a round, and enforcing behavior in an OOC sense is pretty cut and dry. Steve Murphy would exercise a battlefield execution on obvious griefers, marines demonstrating overt racism or sexism, and in response to an instance of sexual harassment. These are all OOC standards of behavior that a commanding officer is expected to crack down on, of which Steve Murphy would have very little tolerance of

In an IC sense, the motivations for a battlefield execution are drawn from the backstory of Steve Murphy himself, and he would have little tolerance for the following points;

• Gross negligence resulting in the deaths of multiple people, where it could have easily been avoided, which I will expand upon in the next section in specifics
  • Any realistic threats to Murphy’s person
  • Instances of mutiny
  • Deliberate efforts to disable the functionality of the Almayer to hinder the operation at large
  • Gross negligence resulting in the death of one or more senior officers
  • Actions motivated by cowardice, resulting in the deaths of multiple people (this is a grey area, and I will provide a specific example of what I mean)

Give some examples of when you would or would not use Battlefield Execution.

NOTE: Most of these examples are drawn from real situations Murphy has been in, and I have included some comments below some scenarios explaining how the CO at the time responded, and how Murphy’s response would align with or may differ from the actual. Furthermore, since Murphy plays mostly low-pop, some responses may differ depending on the presence of MPs in the round

A CAS pilot fires on a lase/flare, misdialing their attack, striking and killing a majority of a marine front. This instance would NOT warrant a battlefield execution. Murphy as a character is aware that mistakes happen and can acknowledge that, while a stupid thing to do, a frontline air support environment often allows for catastrophe at the hands of even well-trained pilots

A CAS pilot fires on a rappel flare during an FOB siege, heavily damaging FOB, and ultimately resulting in an evacuation being called. (NOTE: this is NOT the same as accidentally clipping the outer cade lines of FOB in a strike, it must specifically be a RAPPEL flare). This instance WOULD result in execution, as the pilot would have been repeatedly communicated not to fire upon this flare, as well as having the ability to check the flare on a camera before striking. This fits within the threshold of gross negligence, and would not be tolerated by Murphy

An SO firing on OB coordinates without permission from the XO or CO/firing on FOB coordinates accidentally during an operation, either of which resulting in the deaths of a majority of the marine front. Either of these situations would warrant a battlefield execution, or an arrest depending on the availability of MP staff, Murphy would NOT deputize a fellow SO for an arrest, citing a conflict of interest (I play low-pop, so I have to specify)

During an evacuation of FOB into the Alamo, where no pilot is onboard, Alpha SL locks all the doors to the dropship with at least half of the marine force still fighting outside, and the LZ not yet faltering or overrun (a fighting retreat onto the Alamo after an FOB breach). They actively refuse to reopen the doors until directly threatened by the commander, causing the loss of a majority of otherwise recoverable ground-side personnel, later admitting it was motivated by cowardice (real scenario I experienced as XO). Depending on the availability of MPs, they would either be arrested, and executed by firing squad, or battlefield executed as soon as practical.

During briefing, a Pyro flames half of Bravo squad by accident, critically injuring multiple FOB Engineers in the process, and greatly disrupting the flow of brief. Although extremely negligent, Murphy would likely NOT feel that this situation warrants execution. Instead, if an MP was stationed at briefing, the Pyro would be promptly arrested in accordance with ML. If an MP were not present, Murphy would make a point of shooting the marine ONCE in the chest, as both a warning shot to ‘cut the shit’, as well as to regain the flow of the briefing, and the operation as a whole. (This is a real scenario, and due to the round being in low-pop ‘street rules’, XO Murphy shot them once in the chest, to which they responded “Fair”)

Following a successful groundside operation, a joint force of CIC staff, the MP department, and lost puppy Marines move to exterminate a now redundant Research corrupted hive. During the confusion, a marine with a HPR on burst mode unloads upwards of 5 rounds into one of my SOs, mortally wounding them, with no apparent Xeno contacts in their firing line. CO Murphy’s response to this would heavily sway on the rank and experience of this Marine. As an example, if this marine displays typical hallmarks of ‘baldness’ and is clearly apologetic or confused at what they had done, Murphy would spare their life, pardon their crime, but confiscate their firearm. If this marine is known to Murphy (IE: A.W. Claymore blasted one of my LTs), wore a service medal of either gold or platinum, or was any rank above PFC, Murphy would execute them for their gross negligence during a combat operation. (I witnessed this as an XO, despite the marine being of visibly low experience, the CO at the time chose to BE, something I likely would not replicate)

During a CIC Conference Room briefing, Bravo SL comes up behind CO Murphy, and declares that they bet they could “draw faster” than him. Proceeding to quickly pull out their rifle after a moment’s hesitation, unclear if they intend to fire, and pose a threat to CO Murphy’s person. Murphy would warn the sergeant that such comments serve as threats to the COs person, and warn him NOT to draw his weapon, directly telling the SL that he would face immediate execution should he do so. (Witnessing this as an SO, the CO at the time wordlessly stared at the SL, failing to warn him not to draw, and performing a BE once he did. Murphy would NOT replicate this approach, and the warning is KEY)

5 Likes

Steve is a great guy who role plays competntly while also being a very solid XO defiantly a +1.

2 Likes

My playtimes, for those interested

1.1 hours on MARSOC, just saying guys

1 Like

+1 from me (I play as Kolton Murphy, no relation)

I served a lot with Steve when they play as Medic, and then as they have been going as SO and XO. Really solid RP as well as a great focus on keeping marines up and on task. Playful at times but always experienced them being on task when it counts

2 Likes

Murphy here (purely coincidence, no nepotism involved) I’ve played with him here and PVE. He is a great medic, engineer, QM, a master of fragging, and a good RPer. He has mastered all the elements and deserves the Avatar WL.

+1

2 Likes

That certainly explains why I’ve rarely seen you as someone from Europe.

No offense but why would the UA-I enlist, let alone commission someone that was pretty much part of the CLF, or at least supportive of them. That seems like a MAJOR issue that you’re casually glossing over here, and the logic to this is not apparent to me. Remember that you have to have a sensible backstory that you can present in a IC setting to other characters.

It’s clear at a glance that you spent a lot of time and effort making your stories look like a real deal from the Aliens Universe. They look very authentic to the source material, and I really like that.

As for the real meat - the story/stories presented - I’d say it’s a healthy mix between “dry report about what happened” aka telling, and “personal stories about Steve to showcase a bit of his actual character” aka showing.

Great work, in my eyes.

Why insubordination, of all crimes, I must ask? Usually people in command find insubordination to be something not to pardon, since the crime is quite literally “this person disregarded my orders and disrespected my authority”. Why pardon a Marine that did not listen to you, and may keep on with not doing so?

They may not be a Officer as RO anymore, but the QM is still a Senior NCO as Gunnery Sergeant. They are still held to a high standard as an individual.

If they’re charged with a Major crime then they’re going straight to Brig. You can’t have them do a NJP if their charges include a Major Offence since NJPs are purely for Marines charged with minors.

I assume ‘pardon’ in this case you refer to cancellation of arrest. But yes, I concur.

Difficult case, as both sides are in the right, to a degree.

If the XO really did commit the crime alleged then it’s both unnecessary and silly (the XO has access to the OT workshop and doesnt need to break in). This means they deliberately committed the crime, rather than ‘accidentally’ and innocently doing it in passing.

However, you are correct in that the CMP becomes a borderline threat to the entire operation and command structure by running into the entire Marine Force at Brief and asking the XO to comply with an arrest warrant DURING Briefing. His refusal to abide by a minor temporary setback until arrest only hits that point further home.

Ultimately I believe there are more ways than one to resolve this, but all of them involve a fax sent to the Provost for investigating the CMP’s behaviour. Whether you - as the CO - take any additional action (pardoning the XO, arresting the CMP, etc) is up to you, and I think all of those actions can be justified in this scenario.

Acceptable, especially since I imagine the Marines will be livid and out for heads on a pike after that. If you don’t punish the DP, then the Marines may swing around and go for you via a mutiny, instead.

The DP certainly acted negligent and caused the deaths of dozens, and the failure of the operation as a whole. BE AWARE though, that with MPs present, you should order their arrest instead. A BE is not to be used if you literally need to run across half the ship just to kill somebody if MPs are around. They should be relatively close-by.

One of those iconic BE types. Yeah, acceptable, albeit I’d say it depends on the behaviour of the SO. It may have been a genuine accident, and the SO may be RPing it out as such, showing genuine terror and despair at what they just did. I’ve seen some SOs do that, and in that case, I would probably argue not to BE them.

This I agree with 100%. Not much else to say here.

Disagreed. This is 100% a BEable offense, considering this can ONLY happen if a Marine is chucklefuck enough to wield their weapon without safety on DURING BRIEF. There is absolutely, 100% no excuse for this type of crap.

Dump this guy. Specs don’t get a pass just because they’re Specs.

Also, you cannot “shoot the guy in the chest once” because that is, in fact, illegal. Lowpop or not, I must say it’s the wrong course of action. If nothing else, ahelp.

You mentioned ‘confusion’ which I think is important to keep in mind. If the common Marine doesn’t know what is going on then this type of stuff is bound to happen eventually.

That being said, hosing down an Officer is NEVER a good thing (duh) and a BE is certainly within bounds. It’s less so that you aren’t within your right to BE the guy for this, but more so how malicious the act was OOC. Was it baldness, an accident or malicious?

Overall, I concur.

Agreed. A warning SHOULD be given in this scenario.

Final Remarks

Overall, I think this application is well done, sporting great effort in both the creative writing sections and answers with regards to Pardons and BEs.

Before I ultimately cast my vote, though, I’d like you to answer what I brought up here, both for your character background and some of the things within your answers. I’ll likely make up my mind after that.

1 Like

Hey there, my name is ALSO Murphy (no relation, I assure you)

I admit I’ve been quite looking forward to this part of the review, so I’ll do my best to remain concise

“No offense but why would the UA-I enlist, let alone commission someone that was pretty much part of the CLF”

You make a fair point, and I acknowledge that I could’ve done a better job at explaining this in my story. In essence, what I was going for was that the UA-I Colonel Willey (all my blanked out text can be highlighted for secret information) and the UA as a whole viewed Murphy as really an enemy of an enemy, and a means to an end to secure the valuable planet of LV-440. The whole idea of funding and supporting local militia fighters like Murphy, is to avoid direct diplomatic confrontation between the UA and the UPP

Following his less than ethical clandestine operations where he killed a couple non combatants and Murphys effective joining of the Intelligence Directorate, it sort of became almost transactional to enlist him into the USCM. In the sense that, the UA-I almost bribes Murphy to cover up what they had ultimately had a major hand in.

If I’m being completely honest, I dont have a perfect answer for you besides the fact that I’m not the most amazing writer, and to pity my soul

“As for the real meat - the story/stories presented - I’d say it’s a healthy mix between “dry report about what happened” aka telling, and “personal stories about Steve to showcase a bit of his actual character” aka showing.”

Im really interested in SCP writing, I hope it shows

“Why insubordination, of all crimes, I must ask?”

I probably worded this weirdly, I apologize for the confusion

What I meant to say was that I felt Insub was really the only crime that Murphy considered legitimately variable when it came to “doing the right thing” as an excuse (I REALLY don’t like using the phrase “for the good of the operation”, but think of it similarly)

I wouldnt seriously only pardon charges of Insub, but its my opinion that the crime brings the most wiggle room if you know what I mean, so I thought to mention it

“If they’re charged with a Major crime then they’re going straight to Brig.”

Point taken, I see my mistake with this statement, so let me amend it slightly

If I deemed it a Major Contraband charged, they would go to prison, as I stated in my initial message

If I deem it a Minor charge, simple NJP, fix the consoles, say sorry, and they’re not invited to my birthday party

They would not be, as I erroneously said, a combined response in the event of a Major charge

“I assume ‘pardon’ in this case you refer to cancellation of arrest. But yes, I concur.”

That is correct, yeah

"but all of them involve a fax sent to the Provost for investigating the CMP’s behavior. "

To put this bluntly, I very rarely have the time, nor the MP department to fax the Provost department unless absolutely necessary as a lowpop Commander. It may not be the best answer I could give, more often than not, I’d steer away from the rather cumbersome process if there are are simpler alternatives, time is money with 80 players. CO Murphy would have to be constantly aware of that fact

However, I assure you that I am still perfectly capable, willing, and understanding of the legal mechanic to put it to use should the need arise. But, as you said, since there are technically other valid options including an arrest cancellation, I would much prefer them.

Unfortunately however, sometimes its just how it is, lowpop can be brutal

“The DP certainly acted negligent and caused the deaths of dozens, and the failure of the operation as a whole. BE AWARE though, that with MPs present, you should order their arrest instead. A BE is not to be used if you literally need to run across half the ship just to kill somebody if MPs are around. They should be relatively close-by.”

All that really matters at the end of the day is making an example in cracking down on their idiocy. It brings me no joy to blast someone, and take the time from CIC to do so. MPs will always be considered BEFORE a battlefield execution, as I mention in a few BE examples

“One of those iconic BE types. Yeah, acceptable, albeit I’d say it depends on the behavior of the SO. It may have been a genuine accident, and the SO may be RPing it out as such, showing genuine terror and despair at what they just did. I’ve seen some SOs do that, and in that case, I would probably argue not to BE them.”

I think I’ll have to stand my ground on this one (my health insurance company advised me never to say that to a CO councilor, but I digress). Murphy IC had his colony literally wiped off the map by a UPP bombing in his story, and he would absolutely not tolerate this, accident or not. For me, as I said, a BE is a tool that is wielded equally OCC and ICly, and I would argue that the IC motivations would more than justify in this case.

At the end of the day, we are different characters, we will act with different motivations when it comes to grey areas like this.

“This I agree with 100%. Not much else to say here.”

This was one of the worst XO rounds I experienced, it emotionally hurt me…

“Dump this guy. Specs don’t get a pass just because they’re Specs.”

At the time of writing, I actually intended ‘Pyro’ to just be a marine with a flamethrower, thats why I say A pyro, as apposed to THE pyro. I can completely shoulder that I fucked up my wording again, sorry for the confusion

I am WELL AWARE and completely agree that Specialists do not get a legal free pass, and I’ve tried to go to great lengths to avoid giving off this impression. Apparently I didnt go far enough…

I concede the shooting in the chest is probably a bit immature. My response I think would be ultimately variable based on just how many people they catch in the fire, accident or not. Ranging anywhere from calling them an idiot, to point spamming them, to an arrest, or an execution. Although an execution would probably only be appropriate if I can see some evidence of malice in the flame placemen

“That being said, hosing down an Officer is NEVER a good thing (duh) and a BE is certainly within bounds. It’s less so that you aren’t within your right to BE the guy for this, but more so how malicious the act was OOC. Was it baldness, an accident or malicious?”

I see a lot of real bozos on my side of the globe, I think I’m by nature a little softer on people who I can see are clearly learning. But I think you see what I was trying to say, so I’ll leave it at that

“Before I ultimately cast my vote, though, I’d like you to answer what I brought up here, both for your character background and some of the things within your answers. I’ll likely make up my mind after that.”

I appreciate the time you’ve taken to read my colossal story, the page count kinda got away from me…

Im willing to take a slice out of your famed legal questions should you have any, I still an keen to vouch for my competency in ML, since I feel my recorded hours aren’t too compelling

Thanks again! Happy hunting

1 Like

Enlistment in the vein of “the enemy of my enemy is my friend” is one thing. To commission them as an Officer, and seeing them rise to the rank of ultimately Major who commands hundreds of people, is another. There is a great difference between enlistment and commissioning as an officer, and I feel it’s very very lost in this scenario.

Fair, yeah. Although if you’re in need of time, an ahelp usually does the same trick. If the CMP tried to basically grief you and the operation, ahelp them. It’s something potentially actionable by Staff and may even result in a job ban if it’s a repeated offense.

You aren’t wrong in that BEs are both an IC and OOC tool, for sure. However, at the end of the day a BE is also an immediate “full stop” which round removes someone on the spot. You could just as easily arrest a guy and have them IMMEDIATELY scheduled for execution, and at least that will give that player some quality time for RP as they are sat on death row.

Now, as you mention a bunch of times: You play on lowpop times, and that’s fair. In honesty it makes the BE a lot more valid due to that. However, I must advise you to be careful, as character motivations alone don’t make a BE valid or not. It is valid in this case (as I said), but take great care not to overexert authority with the mind that character motivation makes a good BE. That alone is incorrect. You need objective motivation and reason for it, as well. My personal preference is to allow people the most RP possible (hence a Firing Squad brig sentence instead of instant removal) but if you’re on 80 pop then… myeah.

There’s really no reason not to round remove this guy, in all honesty. It’s the CO’s responsibility (both IC and OOC) to maintain order and security for all their staff, and on the OOC end, to ensure roleplaying standards around them are kept. If some fuckwit is wielding a fucking flamethrower and “”“accidentally”“” fires it DURING BRIEFING in a crowd of people, then you 100% should kill that individual. Again, normally you can also have them arrested- but you play lowpop. So just kill this guy. There’s no reason to keep people like this around. You’re showcasing LRP behaviour as a CO if you tolerate this type of behaviour considering that guy just incinerated multiple of your Marines and all you intend to do is “point at them angrily and call them an idiot”.

Imagine that IRL.

I was not aware I was famous awawawa

Sounds like a Yautja Whitelist quote. Banned from CO.

Questions

You asked for it, so here goes. ALL of these assume you are the CO, not XO.

1. You witness a Marine putting a round into another Marine in Medbay as you pass through. You whip out your baton and detain the offender, who loudly proclaims “it was a joke!” and “we were playing a game!!!”

By the time you process them in the Brig, they have begun cussing you out as incompetent and an asshole. They are demanding an appeal from you, and that you listen to them and overturn the sentence.

It’s lowpop. There are no MPs on deck. You have a lone SO but no XO in CIC and an ASO currently acting as the aCO in CIC.

How do you proceed?

1. A Survivor suddenly appears next to the CIC bubble, pointing at you, screaming your name to get your attention. You did not notice when they got in, or how.

The Survivor - an Engineer - tells you to give them IFF, whilst holding a loaded shotgun next to the bubble as he looks at you. He tosses his ID towards the ID console. Upon closer inspection, you would notice the doors to CIC were hacked open.

You are alone in CIC with your XO. There are no SOs and no MPs present.

How do you proceed?

1. You are hailed over radio by a researcher, who informs you that they have the means to create a “hive of our own” in research containment. They claim this new hive could be domesticated and made friendly to the Marines. However, due to a lack of MPs and Marines on the ship to prevent disaster should this not hold up to be true, you deny the proposal for now.

You are met, shortly thereafter, by the Corporate Liaison - a Senior Executive - who asks to speak with you in your office. He further presses that “it won’t take up much of your time” and that “it’s a matter of heightened privacy, Major”.

Once in the office, the CL says that Weyland-Yutani has a vested interest in Xenomorph research, and that you should allow a manmade hive to be created aboard the Almayer for the sake of such. He, however, also insinuates vague threats, indicating that he has made fax exchanges with the Company and that the Company may send armed assistance to ensure xenomorph samples are made and retrieved should you refuse (i.e. PMCs)

How do you proceed?

1 Like

I’m mildly regretting talking such a big game, but here goes

“Sounds like a Yautja Whitelist quote. Banned from CO.”

Guilty as charged!

You witness a Marine putting a round into another Marine in Medbay as you pass through. You whip out your baton and detain the offender, who loudly proclaims “it was a joke!” and “we were playing a game!!!”

Right, first things first, since I was the arresting officer, I would not legally be able to conduct their appeal. Nonetheless, it is their right to both request and receive one in a timely manner.

In response, I would call CIC on comms and ask both my SO and ASO if they’d consider themselves well versed in ML, and capable of handling a criminal appeal

Should the SO reply with a yes, I would ask the ASO to delegate them to the appeal. I would not be able to delegate them myself, as I would not be considered the Commander without going to the trouble of fully taking over the position from the ASO, something I may not be ready to do.

Should the SO respond ‘no’ and the ASO reply ‘yes’, I would relieve the ASO of command, become the legal Commander, and delegate them to handle the appeal

If neither of them are capable of handling the appeal, and I have no other officers onboard, I would inform the marine that a Provost fax appeal is the only appropriate response at this time, and would remain in the Brig to assist them in drafting it

A Survivor suddenly appears next to the CIC bubble, pointing at you, screaming your name to get your attention. You did not notice when they got in, or how.

This one is less to me about legal procedure than it is crisis negotiation

First things first, I need to take their firearm out of the picture, removing it and any other weapons from the Bridge as soon as possible.

I think I’d have to calmly greet them, try and distract them for a second with some classic survivor RP lines, before politely asking them to place their weapon in CIC reception, and that an ID modification can’t be considered before this happens

Ideally, they’d respond to reason, and abide by the request without things getting messy. CIC does not have the capacity to take it from them without directly placing both myself and the XO at risk, so any kind of confrontation will be strongly avoided

Following their surrendering of the shotgun, I’d unload it, and leave it in reception, bringing the Survivor back into CIC with me. From this point, I think I’d do my best to try and establish first and foremost just who the hell they are with the classic Survivor/CIC RP lines, just doing my best to ease them into cooperation with a bit of logical distractions

Once I have them at a point of cooperation, I would offer them a ‘trade’. I’d grant them IFF and status as a civilian passenger, if they repair the damaged CIC doors, waving the criminal charges of DTGP should they comply. Ultimately I dont need them to repair the doors, since I can do it myself, but offering it as a trade may make the Survivor more cooperative in the long run, once again avoiding any kind of violence that would compromise CIC staff, and the operation as a whole

You are hailed over radio by a researcher, who informs you that they have the means to create a “hive of our own” in research containment. They claim this new hive could be domesticated and made friendly to the Marines. However, due to a lack of MPs and Marines on the ship to prevent disaster should this not hold up to be true, you deny the proposal for now.

You’ve saved the hardest to last I’d say

This one is complicated, a fact that is not helped by the ridiculously vague relationship between Civilians and ML

Whilst the CL is fully expected to follow ML in its entirety, the do get some unofficial legal leeway in the IC sense. The CL is quite a powerful figure onboard the Almayer, and most characters would try their best not to piss them off (if they are staying true to lore), since they have considerable diplomatic sway with the backing of WY. As such, the Commander is probably not going to allow the CL to be arrested for most variable/minor crimes, such as breaking a window, or low calibers of DASO.

In saying that, the CL is not fully immune from ML, and the right to order their arrest for any and all crimes rests solely at the Commanders discretion, should they deem the risk to their long term careers appropriate.

In your described scenario, I am going to assume the CO is not currently considered the legal Commander of the operation, since they are out of CIC at the time and likely handed it off to the XO if they are worth their salt. As such, I’d inform the CL that directly inviting armed third parties onboard my ship to directly undermine my authority constitutes sedition, and that they will arrested the second they send such a fax.

Whilst I myself cannot arrest the CL on the spot should they send a fax, with the authorization of the acting Commander, or if I return to CIC and become the Commander once again, I can easily order their detainment

Following this, I would assemble a squadron of MPs to fully audit the Research department, double checking that the CL had not gotten ahead of themselves with their scheme

I cannot force the CL to show me their personal containment cell, nor would they likely let me see it. But I’d have the MP department on an elevated level of readiness should the CL have stolen and grown an Egg before we got to it, and the Research department regularly audited

1 Like

Good, that was the first hurdle I wanted you to spot. Easily forgotten by many.

So this is a misconception you make THROUGHOUT your answers here, and it stems from the fact that you believe the person sitting within the CIC bubble on your behalf is legally considered “the Commander” (in the ML sense).

They are not. The CO remains the ONLY ‘Commander’ in legal sense so long as they remain shipside. The aCO only receives this status in ML if the CO is incapacitated or deploys - the latter of which means that BOTH the CO and aCO receive this status, with the CO still able to veto and override the aCO due to being able to pull rank of course.

So no, you absolutely do NOT have to ask the ASO for anything here. Your job is Commanding Officer, you’re their boss. You order them to do something, you don’t ask for their permission to do so.

Should have mentioned that you (or any other deputized Officer) needs to remain in Brig anyway for as long as there is at least one brigged prisoner. Meaning you should inform CIC that you are effectively away from command for the duration of the appeal/brig sentence.

Full disclosure: This is something actionable via BE, both for IC and OOC reasons. In an OOC sense, this just a No-RP situation where a Survivor player ignores all character rp and sensible action and rushes into the Command Center with a drawn weapon, DEMANDING something from the CO despite being a civilian. A BE for LRP/Insanity. In the IC sense, this guy is CLEARLY threatening you considering he broke into CIC with a drawn weapon and is making demands of you - and you don’t even know WHO the hell he is, anyway.

You decided not to draw your weapon which is fair. As you said: it creates a risk if you happen not to nail the guy with your Mateba, since you and the XO are unarmored.

This is all very optimistic in thought. It’s good RP, of course, but when thinking realistic here for a moment you’d realise how unlikely it is the survivor would actually comply with any of this. They’ve already demonstrated a severe disinterest and unwillingness to comply with realistic character rp by busting into CIC with a drawn weapon and making wild demands of you as a civilian. The chances of them taking a U-Turn and taking suggestions from you is low.

I must reiterate that it is the CO’s duty to enforce RP standards if someone around them is being blatantly NRP/LRP to a point where such behaviour disrupts the operation/threatens people. You have every right to kill this guy, and probably should the moment he puts the gun away - if, indeed, he ever does. There are plenty survivor mains who simply refuse to do anything you say, and think Command exists just to give them IFF. You have to be ready for those types of players.

THAT ASIDE, this is obviously a good and diplomatic way to solve the situation with the assumption all goes as you described and assumed. It shows intent to create RP, which is good. Again, though, you’re dealing with a person that clearly doesn’t want RP, so chances of this occuring are… low.

The eternal enigma of “can the CL be charged with DASO if he isn’t part of the USCM and doesn’t have a Superior Officer?”

People still question this.

See above. You are ALWAYS legally the Commander of the Ship. Someone else only receives that title if you are dead/incapacitated or deployed.

As mentioned in my question statement, you have a lack of MPs, which played a part in you refusing the Green Hive to begin with.

With reasonable cause, you can certainly authorize a full search of their office, including the containment cell. If the CL threatened you to allow xenomorph breeding, you have such reason.

Question

How many of your XO and SO hours were recent? Do you still actively play XO and SO at the time of this application? How much do you enjoy playing CIC roles, still, after so many hours of play?

1 Like

" How many of your XO and SO hours were recent? Do you still actively play XO and SO at the time of this application?"

I’ve just come back from a 10 day break

But mosts night I play 1-2 SL rounds, 2 XO rounds

I play pretty regularly yeah, play near to the ‘lobotomy round’ and you will have seen my face

“As mentioned in my question statement, you have a lack of MPs”

Forgot about that fact yeah, I guess I’d just have to check Research manually

“So this is a misconception you make THROUGHOUT your answers here, and it stems from the fact that you believe the person sitting within the CIC bubble on your behalf is legally considered “the Commander” (in the ML sense).”

Point taken, live and learn I suppose

1 Like

“How much do you enjoy playing CIC roles, still, after so many hours of play?”

Sorry I forgot to respond to the second half of your question

Lowpop XO is taxing sometimes… and I do find myself getting a little bitter as the hours creep into the hundreds

But at the end of the day, as Kolton Murphy said earlier, I can still find the energy to stay playful and have fun

1 Like

What makes you want to grab the CO Whitelist as a Player, considering this? It’s the same role, fundamentally, as XO - especially on lowpop where the XO is also the aCO 90% of times. 99% of times you wont get to/need to use your additional privileges in ML like Pardons and BE, and you get some neat gear and customizations.

Other than that, it’s the same as XO. So what’s in this for you, as a person? What drives and motivates you to become whitelisted?

1 Like

In essence, someone has to

Lowpop often goes without competent leadership, and ever since CO Demir maybe got a little burnt out, we haven’t had a consistent name to rally behind

I do enjoy playing XO, I am good at playing XO, I will keep playing XO even if this application gets rejected

Some rounds can really suck, but I keep going back, because ultimately Lowpop is the best of us. When you get to 80 players, you start making friends, and the situations get infinitely more wacky and entertaining

I’ve been playing CIC long before I wanted to become a Major, my SO hours speak to that. I’ve been around this joint since 2018, and I wouldn’t have lasted long if I didnt get a kick out of sending Delta to their deaths

2 Likes

This one has my endorsement.

Happy to give my +1

4 Likes

Hey, Large Muphy…

Leaving my +1 here because I think you have shown your willingness to commit over the time that your application has been up. Do not get me wrong, I think you are a great guy, but I was a bit hesitant at first to actually put down advice. I’ve had you in CIC, I’ve had you as my SL, I’ve seen you everywhere, man. You’re getting out there, you love showing that you CAN lead, and you certainly like engaging with people and roleplay.

Here’s what I think: There’s a sneaking feeling in the back of your mind about constituting a BE. It is essentially a round-remover, and from what I have read, you are looking to bring better spirits to people. THAT ASIDE, I believe that we can trust you to make the right decision and you will naturally find your own flow as you truly get to feel your character, as well as the guidance of experienced COs.

Good luck, man. Rooting for you.

2 Likes

Decent SL hours, a story that looks pretty enough for my eyes to glaze over and assume its fine, and Misti didn’t take you out back behind the woodshed, so big ups across the board. Wanna see more of you in game before I pass judgement, but you’ve got some good signs pointing your way.

Advise that you focus on grinding out XO mostly, seen you in the bubble myself even with my intermittent CM play, so keep that up too!

3 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to write!

Since putting the application down, I can estimate I’ve worked about 5 additional XO hours around lowpop. That being said, I’ll take your advice onboard and try my best to join a midpop round at some point today or tomorrow. Its just challenging to make it work in my timezone

And yeah, Misti not taking me behind the woodshed was a surprise for the both of us

2 Likes

Just wanted to drop by and say I’ve seen and interacted with Steve Murphy a few times in CIC and they do indeed play dead pop hours. Don’t have any real negative thoughts about their roleplay. From what I can remember about the late night rounds I’ve played with them is they made decent announcements and were more or less trying to be a competent command member.

I don’t normally comment on story as I believe it’s the least important aspect of a whitelist and it’s more for the councillors to go over over. You’ve clearly put some effort into the whole thing but I gotta say I think you could of written a much more believable setup into how Steve eventually becomes an officer.

I would recommend trying to get some rounds in when it’s considered high population. There are only like 3-4 active COs and council members in your timezone and I don’t see any of them in this thread yet. Maybe try and play some rounds earlier in the day for you which would be peak server population hours for the exposure. XO on high, SL on medium, SO on low.

However based on my interactions with them, the fact they are a fellow Platinum Medal Staff Officer club member and passing the penpusher gauntlet I don’t mind giving this a +1

3 Likes

I’m going to be completely honest here, and admit that my lackluster story planning has become a bit of an issue throughout the application, I can recognize that

I really enjoyed writing my story, I enjoyed formatting it more, but I think overall I just wasnt writing a very good story

In the event this application is rejected, I will obviously rework it to better fit, in the chance this application is accepted, I will very likely amend my story and resubmit it with a little extra in a character dossier

Coming from SCP, writing this kinda stuff has always been a real passion of mine, and I am committed to crafting a story that is worthy of the community as a whole

I know some people are being little bit softer with their comments on it, but I do ultimately appreciate the honestly. If the story isnt working, I’ll fix it, that I can assure you

2 Likes