TheGamer01 - Synthetic Application

Synthetic Application - TheGamer01

What is your BYOND key?

TheGamer01

What is your Discord ID?

Bibby01

Do you usually play a specific character? If so, who?

Thomas Neumann, Solomon Highlands

What whitelist applications have you previously completed?

TheGamer01 - Commanding Officer Application | Accepted

Synthetic Info:

Name of the Synth Character you wish to play:

Benjamin

What is your Synthetic’s Personality?

The Benjamin line of synthetics was originally built to assist on early-stage colony projects. On such projects a synthetic could often be the link holding everything together. In colonies such as this, employing a large staff of dedicated doctors and engineers comes at a great monetary cost in terms of life support requirements, and as such, a synthetic like Benjamin was an obvious cost-cutting choice.

Primarily designed to operate on isolated colonies, the Benjamin model was imprinted with a strong loyalty to their colleagues. In addition they were imbued with a highly positive bias towards colonial living in general. This optimism goes a long way to helping uphold colonist morale. With colonies such as these usually being understaffed, Benjamin would always be on the prowl for new potential co-workers. This is shown in their tendency to highlight the positive aspects of a colonial career, while simultaneously downplaying or explaining away any failures or hardships. When deployed off-colony this results in them being somewhat of a colonial propagandist, completely unintentionally, unlike so many other W-Y models.

How will they react to the different ranks of the USCM, what would they talk about in a one on one conversation? What are their interests? What is an advertisement logline that could be written for them?

While interacting with commissioned staff of the Almayer, Benjamin would pay a high degree of respect, preferring to use surnames and conversing in a rather formal tone, always seeking to provide helpful information and observations about the AO. Depending on the mood of the officer, they might point out how their managerial skills would be sought after on a colony project such as the one the marines are about to drop down to. In other cases, he’d try to assure the officer that things very rarely go wrong on colonies such as these.

When interacting with enlisted personnel, Benjamin would attempt to highlight how valuable their skills would be as private security on a colony project. In addition they’d enlighten the marines on the numerous perks and benefits of living on a colony. This could be expressed as comments based on facilities encountered on the ground, such as dorms, bars, kitchens, workplaces and so on.

Due to his deep-rooted interest in extrasolar colonization, Benjamin would almost always try to highlight the good sides of colonial living, while attempting to explain away anything negative the marines might discover on the ground (Such as a Xenomorph infestation and a near 100% casualty rate).

Due to his use on colony projects, the Benjamin line is marketed with the line: “Benjamin, your key to a new world.”

Why do you want to be a synthetic/why should we whitelist you?

On a more personal note:
Synthetics have always been the most interesting part of the Aliens universe for me. In the Aliens media I’ve consumed, the synthetics have again and again stolen my attention.
Game-wise I believe they’ve got a strong ability to ground people in the setting, which is something I consider especially important for immersion.
On a more mechanical note:
Support roles were what initially got me interested in CM. I’ve never been much of a rifleman player. I played exclusively Engineer+HM back when I started. Only recently did I branch out into other roles, and even here I’ve never truly forgotten my support roots.

What is your most memorable interaction with a synthetic?

My brain’s been churning on this for a while, but I’ve had so many memorable interactions with synthetics and non-synthetics alike that they’ve all meshed together. Even then, here’s a few that still manage to come to mind:
I’ve simply forgotten who it was, but as CO I sat down with a synthetic on the dropship, discussing completely mundane things pre-deployment to a bad groundside situation. I’ve no idea why this particular interaction stuck, but it’s etched into my memory.
While not an interaction per-say, the short interactions round-to-round with the synthetics have always left me with a smile for the rest of the round.
Another more mechanical interaction was with Oliver lately, where we spent our hijack time repairing (almost) every single lifeboat pump and objective. We ended up failing, but the mad dash in the final few minutes of the round was very fun.

Synthetic Character Story:

Skills:

Engineering:

I know my fair share of cade theory, and I’m quite capable of creating a good frontline defensive line and/or FOB. A few highlights here is maximizing firing positions, minimizing friendly fire potential via smart door placement, leaving enough room to dodge boiler attacks, bending lines inward to maximize how long hostels are exposed, and avoiding cades bordering corners. For more auxiliary tasks, I can restore comms, power and APCs with my eyes practically closed.

Command:

As a whitelisted CO I am deeply familiar with all the mechanical aspects of command, including OBs, supply drops, Overwatch, alert levels, etc.

Medical:

Medical was my first and favorite support role. In the field I’m able to quickly stabilize multiple patients by myself, treat the unfortunate Incendiary OB victims with no stress, and abide by triage principles. Shipside I’m comfortable with surgery and chemistry, able to do the vast majority of common surgeries/chemical mixes from memory, and knowing various shortcuts in surgery when time is of the essence.

Requisitions:

While not my favorite role, I’ve had plenty of interaction with the department while playing as CIC staff. I can get supply drops arranged, FOB crates packed, attachments handed out, metal scavenged, and so on. I’ve had to run the department myself a number of times due to staff shortages, with no issue. I do, however, find playing the role for a full round to be a bit dull, and so I don’t play it very often.

What are some scenarios that you can perform combat in? Give us a brief example.

The general gist of synthetic combat restrictions is that combat is wholly disallowed on the active frontline, and situationally allowed in the backlines in defense of oneself or other marines who are unable to help themselves.

Here are some examples:

Generally any situation where I’m alone with a marine, and they become incapacitated due to an opponent. (Or a situation where I’m with multiple incapacitated/non-combat capable marines)
Usually seen in moving between FOB and front or in shattered retreats.

Something more concrete:
A CLF survivor has infiltrated the FOB, and is opening fire on bewildered Bravo marines, who are struggling to fight back. In this case I’d prefer to non-lethally subdue the adversary, but in the case that this is unrealistic I am fully allowed to subdue them lethally due to their non-USCM status.

I’m moving with a small group of marines between the FOB and front, and a warrior grabs one of them. There’s plenty of marines around me, so I’d leave the fighting to them. Instead I’d attempt to recover the grabbed marine and treat their wounds.

Final Info:

Have you been banned from CM in the last month for any reason? Do you have any active jobbans?

No

Are you currently banned from our Discord?

No

Let us know why you were discord banned.

N/A

Do you have anything else you would like to include about your application?

I send my deepest thanks to everyone who’s helped me with this application, especially with reading the story :slight_smile:

Bozo hates req, booo.
But still have my +1 for being competent. :patrice:

1 Like

He’s ginger so it’s hard for me but……
+1

1 Like

Thomas is a great CO and a fantastic gamer, with a lot of Medbay experience and good gamesense. He’d make a great Synthetic.
+1

1 Like

Seen and interacted with Thomas Neumann in command roles plenty of times, they know how to roleplay and acted accordingly. Have also witnessed them playing a squad medic/doctor and a squad engineer who knew what they were doing regarding game mechanics. TheGamer01 also holds the CO whitelist and they clearly understand how to follow OOC and IC rules/guidelines. +1

2 Likes

Great CO, great player

+1

1 Like

Neumann has played a lot of different roles and knows about the game. Also great RPer. He would be an asset to the synth whitelist, +1.

1 Like

This guy is actually sometimes competent.

Jokes aside, he knows his shit support/auxiliary wise and has the ability to roleplay more than adequately. I’m sure this will be no problem for him. +1.

3 Likes

A dear friend, and from my perspective, an exceptional member of the CM community, has invested considerable effort into crafting a detailed Lore, character depth, and focusing on roles that play a pivotal role in a synth application (doctor, comtech and corpsman).
it was always a pleasure to roleplay with Neumann, even as CO :herbert:
im sure he will be a fine addition to the Whitelist, +1!

4 Likes

PFC+
+1

I love seeing him whenever the CO announcement rings and I read “Thomas Neumann”—incredible CO to play under who doesn’t usually go ground side. And even when I see him outside of being CO I’ve enjoyed witnessing him RP and being great at the support roles he tackles during a round.

1 Like

Very competent player, roleplayer and great community member. Hate that he frags me when I’m playing Xeno but not enough to change the +1

1 Like

Thomas is very competent in most roles, he would be a great synth.

+1

1 Like

Seen them around and talked with them from time to time, I can say that they are (in)competent in everything that they do, they have my support. +1

1 Like

Full faith and confidence in this man to kick ass on this whitelist. Great RP. Already has the CO whitelist. +1. Do the Whitelist proud l. Tomo argiato Mr . Roboto.

5 Likes

+1 Good CO, good Doctor and probably will be a good Synth as well

2 Likes

Quite the good player in general, from mechanical skill to talking outside the context of a round. Also quite skilled in RP. You’ll nail it. +1.

2 Likes

Known Thomas for quite a while, seem nothing but good skills overall in his leadership, roleplay and gameplay.
Gonna leave this here +1

2 Likes

+1 Best of luck

3 Likes

Hi, you have quite a nice application going with a fair amount of community feedback.
I’d like to ask you some questions and point out the good and the bad.

1. I do like the formal tone you prioritize, I’ve found the “upbeat happy-go-lucky synths” to be quite impossible to interact with realistically and I’m glad there’s somebody who made a serious synthetic.

2. Less of this “PFC Johan: “W-Wilkins, did you get Wilkins?!?”” more of Johan lets out a short laugh and says: “I’m not so sure after this ordeal… But maybe, just maybe, I’ll consider it” would be nice.

3. Whilst I’m not 100% sure, I do recall “damaged synthetics” being used by the USCM being frowned upon by the council, but I could be wrong.

4. Your synthetic idea sounds hard to execute, what would a conversation with somebody you just treated sound like if you /had/ to involve your “quirk”?

-ADDENDUM: I don’t know if the “yapbot” or just ads for the colony would be something USCM would be interested in, in terms of the personality. It sounds iffy at best to me.

1. Your formatting for the story is great, I like the white on black with the Wey-yu logo on the background. I would’ve liked it if you colored the characters when they were speaking though.

I haven’t personally seen you roleplay ever but that might be a chain of bad coincidences.

3 Likes